What glue to use on pearl earring post

dianachan89

Hello,

I have tried G-S cement on my pearls and glued them to gold earring post. I would like to know how can I tell if the glue is dried ?

I use the glue on my pearls, After 24 hours, I tried to pull them with some force I am able to pull the pearls apart from the earring post , does this mean that the glue hasn’t dry up yet ?

Thank you

I only ever use G S cement on the tread inside the last pearl before cutting the tread. When I glue pearls to findings I usually use two part epoxy (the one that dries clear), but superglue can also be used. I think G S cement is to brittle.

Exactly. It's not really made for that. Two part epoxy is messy but holds up good.

Lady D's point is important also; does the post fit snugly in the hole, or is there play? It's also recommended that the post be grooved or roughed a bit to help the glue adhere. I've had the best luck with gel superglue (I think Wendy @Pearlescence recommends this; I've edited to correct the type of glue, sorry.) I'm over cautious and let the glue set 2x recommended time before I test it. Too much glue can be a problem, too.

Last edited:
Lady D's point is important also; does the post fit snugly in the hole, or is there play? It's also recommended that the post be grooved or roughed a bit to help the glue adhere. I've had the best luck with gel superglue (I think Wendy @Pearlescence recommends this; I've edited to correct the type of glue, sorry.) I'm over cautious and let the glue set 2x recommended time before I test it. Too much glue can be a problem, too.

Dear Pattye,

Do you mean that if I use too much glue , the glue will not dry up and it will not work?

The glue will eventually dry, but perhaps not in the recommended set time. How was the fit of the post in the hole? If you used glue to fill a gap between a small post and large hole, that would take longer to dry. It could also be more likely to fail.

Here's a useful discussion from a few years ago about adhesives:

Last edited:
The glue will eventually dry, but perhaps not in the recommended set time. How was the fit of the post in the hole? If you used glue to fill a gap between a small post and large hole, that would take longer to dry. It could also be more likely to fail.

Here's a useufl discussion from a few years ago about adhesives:

Hello Pattye,
How about a 0.68mm post to a 0.8mm hole?
Should we apply the glue into the drilled hole and also on the post or we should just apply the glue on the post?

Thank you

Charlotta, you are spot on, G-S cement works very well as a sealant, but it’s bond strength is not in the same class as many glues we have access to.

I also use two part epoxy ( 24 hour version) and yes super glue can be used also.

One really good epoxy is strong for this is Devcon 2T available from Amazon, and some hardware type stores. Let dry overnight.

Thank you so much for the replies. After i inserted the post into the pearl drilled hole, should i let the pearl post face up to dry (like sticking the pearl studs facing down on a double sided tape) or the pearl should be facing up (like poke the post into a Styrofoam so the pearls face up)?

Hi folks - long time no post. My ears were burning so here I am. Yes, we use gel superglue after encountering problems with epoxys (epoxies?) . It dries fast, to tack in a couple of minutes and fully within around 10. The added bonus is that there is a specific glue remover gel as well, which works if the setting goes wrong or if you manage to glue your finger to your ear.
Glues all work by solidifying a vacuum - think of two glasses or saucepans jammed into each other. The glue fills the necessarily thinnest gap between the two. It's not a filler like ..what do you call it in the US..spackle? That's why the post especially needs to be the right size for the drill hole.
If you are faced with an already drilled hole which is too big for your post you'll need to get a bigger post.
Use about half the amount of glue you think necessary.

Yes! Welcome back Wendy! :D

Back