Larger knot types?

beadingquestion123

I am a total beginner at knotting pearls and beads, but am trying to learn more! I have some aquamarine beads where the hole is just barely too large for a double knot in heavyweight Beader's Secret but is also just barely too small for me to double up the thread. I tried googling but can't find a knot that would be just a bit bigger but still balanced - any ideas? I'd rather not buy medium weight thread to double up if at all possible. If it makes any difference, I am currently using what I believe is called the Japanese method where all of the beads are strung on one thread and I thread the other through one bead at a time and then knot my way back up. Here is a link: https://www.firemountaingems.com/resources/tutorials/6918 I am of course open to other methods.

Thank you for any help!

Welcome to the forum! I'll be interested to find out of anyone else is using that method for knotting pearls. Since you are just learning, you might want to take a look at the excellent tutorial Pearl Dreams created for pearl knotting here: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/s...inging-Pearls-on-Beader-s-Secret-or-Power-Pro
This "Lowly Beaders" tutorial (a two-strand method) can be adapted for anyone who wants to use an awl, tweezers or just pull the threads apart to seat the knots. Many of us use this method and can help problem solve is something comes up! This might be a more versatile method to learn if you enjoy knotting and want to continue to create jewelry. It also secures the clasp at each end with multiple passes back through pearls instead of ending by tying a knot, cutting the thread and adding glue.

If you tie an overhand knot with 2 heavy threads does it block the hole in your beads?

Does it seem like using the Japanese method would be awkward to create a long necklace or rope with the thread tied to a button on your shirt?

Sometimes, using the basic stringing method, I've used a 3rd thread or 4 threads (2-doubled), in same or different size, to achieve the size knot I need.

The bead bumpers Pearl Dreams mentioned do give a very consistent attractive look.

It's great to learn about knotting techniques; I certainly don't think there is only one way that's the right way.

Last edited:
Hello beadingquestion123 the size of the knot is not really relevant to knotting, what is very important however is the correct gauge (thickness) of the thread.

If you go by knot measurements only, You will find sooner rather than later, that you will have gaps either side of your beads as the thread thickness isn’t properly filling the holes and supporting the beads.

You might very well need three thick threads or two thick and one medium- what is the actual size of your bead holes?

With stringing, experience and practising is the key. You chose an interesting method to string, there are more adaptable ways out there, and this forum has tutorials as mentioned.

I’m a tweezer gal, don’t like the very fine tips though as I work on batches of 20 and thirty strands at a time and I find being swift the very pointed ones can hinder the process.

If you like using your hands an awl can help with accuracy of knot placement.

I've done that technique before, but the knots are too small.

Now I do this. I thread my needle, and using a doubled thread, string all my pearls onto the thread. I try to place the pearls with the larger holes near the ends.

I go through the clasp with the needle, and then back through the last pearl and do an overhand knot over all 4 threads. I push up the next pearl and go through it with the needle, and overhand knot again. Then I cut off the needle close to the knot (after putting a tiny drop of glue on the knot.

Then I push up each pearl, and do overhand knots between each pearl using the doubled thread. The knots are larger. Plus, with Beader's Secret I can pull the two threads apart and the knot snugs up against the pearl.

I use a hemostat, or any large clamp to hold the non working end so the pearls don't slide off the thread.

You might very well need three thick threads or two thick and one medium- what is the actual size of your bead holes?

Thanks for the helpful advice! I somehow hadn't thought of using a fine thread and a heavyweight in the same color at the same time, which worked perfectly with the Japanese method for the aquamarines.

Then I push up each pearl, and do overhand knots between each pearl using the doubled thread. The knots are larger. Plus, with Beader's Secret I can pull the two threads apart and the knot snugs up against the pearl.

I tried a hybrid of the Japanese and BWeaves' method with 4 heavyweight threads for Shattuckite beads with even larger holes than the aquas. Now I can show off my first 3 beading projects! I've definitely learned a lot, but still have a long ways to go. Next time I'll just try the tutorial in its entirety rather than making up my own method. A couple of the obvious lessons so far:

1) use longer thread than you think you need
2) actually count the number of beads for each tassel
3) don't cut or glue anything until you've triple checked it!

IMG_20200915_132914__01.jpg
IMG_20200915_133142__01.jpg
IMG_20200915_133218__01.jpg

For a first timer, your knotting and finishing off is really good beadingquestion123

Happy to see that it worked out for you.
You, even managed to make tassel earrings, that is an accomplishment on its own.

It really does not matter what technique you use as long as you get your tension, knot placement and finishing off correct.

You will find the more you string, that you will find your own groove, I did!

You did a really nice job on those-- and yes to using more thread than you think you'll need! Thread is cheap, and it's a major pain to run out too soon.

BWeaves, how do you attach the other end of the clasp and finish it?

I stop knotting 3 pearls from the end. I thread my needle onto one of the loose ends and go through my clasp. I go back through the last pearl and snug everything up by pulling on both ends. One end comes out near the clasp, and the other end with the needle is next to the last pearl. I do an overhand knot only with the thread in the needle, and I do it over the thread that straight through the pearls. Then I push the needle through the second pearl and do an overhand knot over the thread that goes through the pearls. Each time I pull on both ends to make sure the knots are snug. If I can work it through the third pearl and do another knot, I do. I put a tiny drop of glue from a needle nose applicator on the last couple of knots. When it dries I snip the end next to the last knot and snip the end sticking out of the last pearl by the clasp.

Back