Do Silver wires tarnish when used with pearls?

ShashiRatna

Hello,

I used argentium silver with my pearls and I noticed black colour at the holes of the pearls. I was given to understand that argentium silver is tarnish resistant to a high degree. The wire I used is really old.
I found some old silver wire but it is already black in some places so don't think that would be a good option. And I have some sterling silver wire too.

Does any one have any experience on using any of the above types of silver wire? Which wire would be a better option?

Thank you and stay safe.

Cheers,
ShashiRatna

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear ShashiRatna, I have a long necklace from Lagos full of tiny pearls and another from Stephen Dweck also with pearls both on sterling silver, and the pearls have started to stain on both ends,so I will say yes, they will tarnish with time!

Silver always tarnishes. Even fine silver. Argentium silver takes longer to tarnish, but it does tarnish. Even "gold" beads that aren't actually gold will also cause pearls to turn black. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to polish the silver that won't damage the pearls.

Yes, fine silver will tarnish more slowly, but so does Argentium silver. But they still both tarnish.

Rhodium plated silver usually will not tarnish. Well, at least until the Rhodium wears off the surface of the silver, which should be a good long time.

Thank you for all your responses. Now I have lot to think about. I just undid 2 wrap bracelets and cleaned all the pearls and don't think I want to do that ever again! :) And I was only wearing it for a few days! :)
Cheers.

If you want to wrap your pearls, I would recommend sticking with real gold or good gold plated wire.

Last edited:
To be tarnish resistant, Argentium needs to be heat treated, to create the germanium coating. Any wire that is sold as dead soft hasn't been heat treated.

But a few days sounds very fast for any silver to tarnish. You mentioned it being around the holes. Do you have any pictures? Was the wire fitting snugly?

Thank you for the technical information.

Yes the wire fits snuggly as I am trying to crochet the pearls. And yes I used soft Argentium silver and was not aware that I needed to heat treat it. How do I heat treat it? Can I take it through a candle flame? After hearing it, do I have to wait a while before using it?

Any tips on the silver wire?

Attachments

• 20200804_173736-1.jpg
    20200804_173736-1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 67
I don't think the wire fits snuggly. The wire is fine and there is lots of space in the pearl's hole. I think fitting snuggly means the wire fills up the hole and there is no gap.

Thank you Lady_Disdain.

So it looks like whether I use Silver or Argentium Silver, I am going to have the problem.

Cheers.

Can you use nylon coated beading wire? Finer gauges and higher ply-count tend to be more flexible.
Soft Touch is very flexible, for example.

Oh, now I see your picture!

No, there is a lot of room for the pearl to move and rub against the metal. That is not oxidation. You will have that problem no matter what metal you use. I would look for pearls with a smaller drill hole. You may need to get them drilled to order but the end result will also look neater, since the drill hole will barely be visible and the pearl won't feel wobbly.

Nylon coated beading wire is too thick and not flexible enough for crocheting. Usually, crocheting is done with very fine wire, sometimes down to 0.3mm or 0.25mm.

Pearl Dreams, Yes I did make a test sample using the nylon wire, but it didn't turn out exactly as I wanted but might have to do. :)

Lady Disdain, yes the nylon coated wires is not ideal but I might have to just bite the bullet and go for it. And since it's for a wrap bracelet it should be alright.

Thank you ladies for all the info. Learnt something new.

Cheers and stay safe.
ShashiRatna

Back