Linda's Lowly Beading Adventures

And here are the aquas and stick pearls... I didn't take neck shots because I am wearing an old t-shirt that I've been making bread in (the bread maker does most of the work, and I do enough to get some of the flour).
aqua_stick_pearl_necklace.jpg

Fun, Linda! Looking forward to seeing it on you once you are finished playing in the flour. Bread sounds delicious by the way.

The bread is baking now, and the smell is heavenly. I haven't worn anything but "bumming around the house" clothes for days, so I dunno.

I've been wearing pearls with my bumming around the house clothes for weeks. I'm afraid I'll forget how to wear real clothing, but no problem with the pearls. I love the smell of bread baking, but my grocery store has been out of flour for a month.

I've been wearing pearls with my bumming around the house clothes for weeks. I'm afraid I'll forget how to wear real clothing, but no problem with the pearls. I love the smell of bread baking, but my grocery store has been out of flour for a month.

Yes, I should wear my pearls anyway. Thank you! For the flour, I got fed up with trying to find it in the grocery stores, and ordered 50lbs on Amazon (restaurant supply). If anyone needs some, and can pick it up (West Los Angeles), I can provide it. Note: even Amazon was out of the 5-10 lb bags.
50lbs-epsilon.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm not near you. But that's a generous offer. 50lbs is a LOT of flour.

I haven't made cinnamon rolls for a long time. 40 years ago I found out I was hypoglycemic, so had to cut out the sweet stuff. No, at this point I don't miss it at all! But I had my daughter take a few neck shots, despite the grubby t-shirt:
aqua_stick_pearl_neck3.jpg
aqua_stick_pearl_neck2.jpg

I love it, Linda! It looks great. Looks like you might be baking a lot more bread and then some. Hope you get out of the kitchen to wear your pearls!

Lovely pearls Linda; and I think they look wonderful with a simple grey T shirt! I managed to get 2 bags of flour in an Aldi's order over a week ago; hoarding it :) I did bake Walter a few sourdough crumpet today for lunch though. I'd started a new starter, then let it rest for a while for lack of flour; now it's lively and will go in the fridge to slow it down till next baking.

Let's see if this works: Ohhh, yay, I finally figured out how to flip photos again :) !!! 50lbs-epsilon.jpg

Love the neck shot. Great necklace. Love the flour, too, hehehe.

Wonderful necklace, Linda! Looks like it needs a trip to the beach :). I have a bit of flour, but have not been able to find yeast. (but only 2 trips to the grocery store since March 16th). I mainly use the flour in baked eggs and Russian cheese fritters (syrnitki).

Cathy, thank you! You also inspire me to start a sourdough starter again... I had one long ago. Marianne, would you be willing to share recipes? My father's family was from eastern Europe. At the end of the 19th, beginning of the 20th centuries it was Austria. Now we are not sure, maybe Poland or Ukraine. My grandmother was a wonderful cook, but she didn't use recipes. I bought a huge thing of yeast at a restaurant supply store a bit over a year ago. It made 3 fairly large jars. Two went into the freezer and one in the refrigerator. I'm not yet halfway through the second jar. I've made more bread in the last 3 weeks than I have for a while. The bread maker walked off the counter again, and this time was so smashed up that I figured it was hopeless. As far as baking goes, it is hopeless, but it still happily makes the dough. Those DAK bread makers are amazingly indestructible! We've had ours for almost 30 years, but some of those years it stayed in the closet.
More neck shots of aquas:
aqua_neck3.jpg
aqua_neck2.jpg

Oooh, that is so lovely on, Linda!

I was thinking of starting a thread called "Quarantine Kitchen with Walter" ... but after the waterfall in the kitchen last week, I was too scared to lol. Our new dishwasher gets delivered to our porch Wednesday ... I expect new adventures.

I let the sourdough starter go into hibernation, but resurrected it once I got 2 bags of flour. We don't need a lot of carbs. But it's handy, as is the tip to reduce the yeast in almost any recipe from a full pack to about 1/2 teaspoon, and let the dough rise overnight/24 hours. It's slower, but builds flavors, and stretches yeast you might have; I have 6 packs.

Marianne: Recipes ... please ?????? Or anyone else of course :)

Baked Eggs:
8 -12 eggs lightly beaten
1 C flour
1T baking powder
1C milk
Beat till smooth, then stir in:
1 lb cottage cheese
2 -4 C grated cheese (jack, provolone, cheddar, Swiss, or anything that tastes good to you)
Beat together then stir in
1 stick melted butter
Bake in greased 9x13 pan at 350 for 45 to 55 min (golden brown and set). It will rise up then sink down a bit. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
You can add ham, cooked sausage, mushrooms or what ever floats your boat :)
The recipe came from a neighbor when I was in nursing school in 1975. It has become a family favorite.
Left overs can be sliced like sticks and warmed in a non-stick skillet.

Russian Cheese Fritters (syrniki)
It all depends on the dryness of your farmer's cheese...
Ingredients include:
Farmer's Cheese
Flour
Sugar
baking powder
vanilla
eggs
Mix into a semi stiff batter and drop into hotish oil (I use ghee with grape seed oil), about 2T in a nonstick pan. Fry till bubbles form and begin to pop on the upside. Flip and slightly lower heat cooking for maybe 3 more minutes or till brown as you like them.
I like them with apple sauce and sour cream.
Extras store well in the fridge and can be warmed for 30 sec in the microwave.

Sorry if things are not precise by weight, but I tend to be a dump cook. L)

Thank you for the recipes, Marianne! The fritters remind me of the insides of blintzes, which were wrapped in an egg-type pancake and fried.
Neck shot of the ametrine:
ametrine_neck1.jpg

Back