Completed my planned double strand of vintage freshwaters

multichrome

Hi, everybody! I restyled a triple strand I got on eBay into a double strand with a vintage double clasp. I will likely redo it, but I’m happy with how my skills are progressing! The pearls came strung without knots, but with a pretty clasp. They were strung so tight that they were unwearable—there was so little space between each pearl that each strand almost kinked. I bought them on eBay, and only after taking them off the thread I realized how very silvery and metallic many of them were—though not very round.

So I found a pretty goldtone vintage double clasp on eBay, and I knotted them with Beader’s Secret #40, Ivory. The two strands are ca. 21 inches and 22 inches. I’ll likely redo/lengthen the shorter one, because I would like them to nest, and currently it is a little too short to do that when I’m wearing it.

Thank you for reading. I REALLY love knotting with such lovely string as has been recommended here. It’s very meditative for me, and a beautiful alternative to making pieces by wire wrapping beads or stringing them on elastic, although those are also useful skills!

Accidentally attached is an image of the triple strand from the eBay seller. I have some weird issues with deleting attachments, as I’m on the Apple platform and using an iPad. However you can probably see how different the pearls looked when they were so tightly strung.

87EFAB1B-D0B2-45D9-B75F-F3F0CF0131F7.jpeg

1A2837BD-88F2-4FCF-8FBB-C60FDDC62F7D.jpg

Attachments

• 50E58C9F-B553-401F-B7CF-1A3D4645BB0E.jpg
    50E58C9F-B553-401F-B7CF-1A3D4645BB0E.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Beautiful work. I love how romantic your double strand looks with the gold tone vintage clasp. Your photograph- with the backdrop of tea roses gave me such a peaceful feeling. I imagined another era in which lovely ladies wore their pearls as they gathered to have tea together.

Really lovely job ... your pearls just glow now ... gorgeous!

What a great job you did! The necklace looks beautiful & definitely wearable now!

Thank you all for your kind and encouraging responses! I really learned what a difference a knotting job can make. Here are more photos of the necklace before, and then my redo. I can do a neck shot when I’ve restrung the shorter, inner strand to my liking. It really was a fun and rewarding project. Have a great day!

Original necklace, photos by seller:

BB503F89-7264-4A15-B859-A3323D90C147.jpg

819E05AB-1B8D-4FDA-AF87-3D02E3DC26C7.jpg

More photos of the revamp, including the clasp:

89675107-889E-44AC-9743-87A552C5BF59.jpg

019B540A-141B-40C5-8F1D-A8F2D8B02618.jpg

EE5B4904-3FE7-4BF2-8264-0F9C3C572088.jpg

CB49DC13-C3D9-4B11-9C8C-7903BE4A89AE.jpg

Knotting between pearls gives the strand flexibility and enables it to drape nicely.

Nice redo!!!!

To delete photos, you have to click on Edit Post and then scroll down and click the Manage Attachments button.
There's a section at the bottom with attachments. Each attachment has a little X in the corner that you can click to delete it.
I can never tell which attachment is which, so I usually just delete them all and then reattach them.

Thank you all again so much for your encouraging comments. I’ve practiced a lot, but I’ve benefited LOADS from the PG tutorials (especially by Pearl Dreams). An artist friend of mine wants to learn to knot pearls, and we’re getting together in a couple of weeks so I can give her a short lesson. I think she will take to it easily, but we have PG’s great resources to help us if we get stuck. I’ll probably order more needles in preparation. I don’t mangle them so badly now, but I want my friend to have plenty. By now Pattye may be wondering how I can go through so many!

Have a great rest of the week!

Cece

Back