Drilling Pearls for Mystery Clasp

J

Judith

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a simple method of drilling the correct size hole for the mystery clasp? I bought a pearl drill, but find it nearly impossible to use. The pearl drills that came with it are not large enough in diameter to accommodate the female end of the clasp. Is there a better tool to use with the flex shaft to get a smoother hole and go deep enough without drilling through on the other side? I am drilling 10 mm FWP and have to do two female ends and two male ends. I am very experienced with most pearl stringing techniques, but I don't do many Mysteries.

Thanks, Judith

When I drill pearls with a flex shaft, the only drills I use
are the Metric Diamond Twist drills. They are expensive but worth it. I
order them from Gesswein (www.gesswein.com). Their phone number is
800-243-4466 for a catalogue. I usually use a 1mm drill, catalogue item
# 226-1241. There are larger sizes too, ie 1.3mm drill, 226-1242, 1.4mm
226-1243, etc. I hope this helps.

I have been using regular twist drills and my flexible shaft to drill my freshwater pearls and have had few problems. I only have been half drilling some pearls for a post and redrilling some pearls from strands to increase the diameter of the hole.I am using .9mm to 1.2mm diameter bits.
A sharp drill and technique are important, I think. Don't try and force the drill, let the drill do the work with a little help. Back the drill partially out of the hole occasionally, depending on how deep a hole you are drilling , to allow the drilled material to come out of the hole. This will help prevent the drill bit from getting clogged and help it to continue cutting and will also help to tell you how far your hole has gone into the pearl.

Hope this helps

Doug Frey

Back