Best Pearl Reamer

Sorry - Meant top-ish..it's top right of the columns as against the index on the left and the stuff bottom left. It's a case of I knew what I meant. It's the last item in the information box - videos
Here, this snip should help
video localtion.JPG

Hereis a video of my pearl reaming technique. Thanks to Pearl-White for suggesting Irwin gripper. I now will use nothing else. Dremel method and tips are in this video
For pearl (WEN) drills use this link:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/231888...search_query=pearl drill bit&ref=sr_gallery_2

for diamond tappered bit use this link:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/105927...6e33779bb477d4730af56eb538993df0171:105927003

Note: Edit: When you use the tappered bit just drill outside hole to diameter you want, likely about 1mm then switch to pearl drill. A standard twist (HSS) drill bit will work if you don't have a pearl bit!! Happy drilling. -- Lloyd

Last edited:
Sorry - Meant top-ish..it's top right of the columns as against the index on the left and the stuff bottom left. It's a case of I knew what I meant. It's the last item in the information box - videos
Here, this snip should help
View attachment 50209

Thank you Pearlescence, but I don't have any of that content on the home page. Perhaps if you are an Administrator, you see a different screen. Is it the home page of www.pearl-guide.com, or another site? Could you please just post a link to the videos page?

Thanks very much!

Small reamers have to be purchased through watch supply firms or jewelry catalogues like Rio Grande. They should be
tapered and are sold in multiple kits or by size. I can't tell you the size but the fine end should be about .20mm and the thicker end
.75mm. Please do not use super glue on the knot if you tie one there.
Reaming the last pearl kills the value of that pearl. You can use a dull razor on a piece of hard wood like maple to
scrape carefully to thin the threads. While on the wood wax it. Before you carefully pull the thread tight in the pearl hole
cut the very thin hair like end off the thinned thread. Pushing the thread through with one hand while the other keeps the hole clear.
wrapped around your finger works all the time. Hard to describe a technique with text.

Hereis a video of my pearl reaming technique. Thanks to Pearl-White for suggesting Irwin gripper. I now will use nothing else. Dremel method and tips are in this video
For pearl (WEN) drills use this link:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/231888...search_query=pearl drill bit&ref=sr_gallery_2

for diamond tappered bit use this link:

Note: Edit: When you use the tappered bit just drill outside hole to diameter you want, likely about 1mm then switch to pearl drill. A standard twist (HSS) drill bit will work if you don't have a pearl bit!! Happy drilling. -- Lloyd

Thanks so much for this & the other replies. I lost my password, life got crazy, and only just got back into pearls.

Life is better with pearls.

As a note my company has been stringing for decades. I hold, as my mother did decades ago, a pearl with a wooden clothes pin if I need to drill a bit to the hole. Many times a reamer in a hand held pin vise will often clear a hole.
They don't scratch the pearl and don't break. We have some clothes pins, (ones with the spring hinge) that can be adjusted for different applications. Amazon doesn't sell jewelry manufacturing material or goldsmithing material you will have to go to a jewelry supply company.
We have used tapered reamers for decades with very little trouble aside from them getting dull then it heats up an the hardness is ruined.
Some times patience and slow works better than high speed. Reamers come in all sizes for various metal tasks. Dremels work but it is not as handy as a flexible shaft drill. The collet will accept all sizes of drills (1/4 horse) and reamers. Folks who use super glue at the pearl hole to anchor thread are making it quite difficult for the stringer to restring. Another method is to use a AA weight silk (very fine) or monofiliment leader (fine) to help you pull the thread back through the hole. Cutting out one of the threads at the third pearl is also a very effective way of accommodating to the hole size, usually .7mm. All stringers have favorite tools and items to use for restringing then you get comfortable and your production improves.
Norm

Mmm... Dremel flexi shaft use a lot of power, engine turn more slowly. Bearing shaft wears quickly, then tools don't turn round, and grease (dirty black) must be often changed. Above all, it's usual that grease oozes on the hands after a time, or when flexi shaft begins to heat. Anyway, flexi shaft don't have to be used strongly bent... In a nutshell, flexible shafts have been a long time the nightmare of jewelers and dental technicians, before coming of handpieces engines.

Last edited:
Back