Best Pearl Reamer

Dianamoon

I couldn't think where else to post this.

I am a new beader/pearl stringer - not an expert. I learned about pearl knotting on Youtube. My only problem is that the method I prefer requires a double pass back through the two end beads.

When you use a Griffin silk card with the tiny filament at the end, this is no problem. But I've attempted to use other stringing materials with a collapsible eye, and with the double thread, etc., it becomes a problem. The opening of the pearl is maybe .5mms. With the threads, you've added several extra millimeters and I couldn't pull the needle through.

So I thought, get a pearl reamer. I bought one from Amazon and it was a nightmare - way too big. I don't know if we are allowed to link to items we dislike, so I won't. It was all metal, not diamond coated, and had ridges. All the other reamers on Amazon always get a few one-star reviews that sour me on them. I won't throw away money buying on Ebay or Amazon unless I get a recommendation from someone who has used the item. Luckily I was able to get a refund from Amazon.

What do people here recommend?

I have not had good luck buying reamers, either.

I have found that at least 3 of my pearls will have bigger holes than the others. So a long as the necklace is not graduated, I can usually pull out the pearls with the bigger holes and save them for the end.

It also helps to have something like a hemostat where you can grab the end of the needle and pull it through the hole.

I also use a doubled thread to bead with, but on the last 3 pearls, I'll pull out one of the extra threads so there is one less to have to bunch up in the pearls.

Get some 1mm drill bits and drill the hole larger. Most pearls are drilled to 0.7mm. Life is far too short to ream pearls (they break anyway)

Words of wisdom, Wendy.

If you go the Dremel route, be sure to buy a clamp made especially for pearls...I own a pearl drill, but didn't have a big enough drill bit to make the hole I needed...the Dremel came in very handy, HOWEVER, I was scared to death I was going to drill my fingers off. Kind of like a bad bagel slicing accident...shivers...I bought larger drill bits, and they've just arrived from Japan! I love the internet.

You only drill your own thumb a few times JP. We now use a smaller drill than the one in the video (via the P website) as it died. But it is still a regular putting up shelves drill. You need the power/speed to drill quickly otherwise the pearl just sits there getting hotter. A proper Dremel may have the power, I don't know, but the non-dremel hand helds usually don't.

I use a Dremel, its fast, easy, and precise. But like JP, the 1st time I used it, I had serious cold-sweat shivers & saw flashes of headlines, "woman found in basement studio, passed out due to loss of blood, and numerous cuts on hands.." haha. I was fine, just keep a steady grip on the pearl. Life is toooo short to ream by hand

Too funny, Sunseeker!

Is there a technique that works for holding the dremel and pearl so they don't move?

you can see how we do it on our video of drilling. only your thumb gets drilled. brace with elbow on the workbench

Just a side note, my Dremel is a pretty powerful little tool. I love it...and it works great on all kinds of jobs. Cleaned my shower grout and the blower fans on my Vent-A-Hood (the parts that don't easily come off and pop into the dishwasher). Took about 10 minutes...last time I cleaned the hood, it took me over 4 hours. I spent an afternoon at HomeDepot a few weeks ago in one of their demo classes on how to use the dremel around the house. Needless to say, I then bought every last cleaning and polishing bit they had (not the kinds used in jewelry making)

A little quick tip...

Irwin Quick Grip will allow you to clamp down a pearl tightly and keep the pearl and your fingers intact. Available from your local hardware store or Amazon.

PW - How funny...I have those sitting on my shelf and never thought to try them to hold the pearls lol I use my fingers and frankly have not even come close to drilling fingers. You bring the pearl..to the drill... I keep the speed low and just drill and back off..drill and back off etc . Firm grip and ALWAYS wearing safety goggles. Worst that happens is the pearl flys off when bit snaps .

Pearl Reaming my experience

Pearl Reaming my experience

I couldn't think where else to post this.

I am a new beader/pearl stringer - not an expert. I learned about pearl knotting on Youtube. My only problem is that the method I prefer requires a double pass back through the two end beads.

When you use a Griffin silk card with the tiny filament at the end, this is no problem. But I've attempted to use other stringing materials with a collapsible eye, and with the double thread, etc., it becomes a problem. The opening of the pearl is maybe .5mms. With the threads, you've added several extra millimeters and I couldn't pull the needle through.

So I thought, get a pearl reamer. I bought one from Amazon and it was a nightmare - way too big. I don't know if we are allowed to link to items we dislike, so I won't. It was all metal, not diamond coated, and had ridges. All the other reamers on Amazon always get a few one-star reviews that sour me on them. I won't throw away money buying on Ebay or Amazon unless I get a recommendation from someone who has used the item. Luckily I was able to get a refund from Amazon.

What do people here recommend?

my experience

I have a lot of experience reaming pearls. If you use my suggestions please be careful around the pearl drill If You find you are creating much dust-use a mask. I use a dremil that is variable speed with adjustable chuck option Around 1100 rpm works best. I recommend a real pearl drill bit from WEN on Etsy. The 1mm size will likely be what you need. Drill from both sides. I use some vise grip plyers I have made into a pearl handler by using a drum sander with the dremil to make a round opening plyer. I probably wouldn't use these plyers with expensive pearls, but have had no problem on Freshies. Be careful not to over tighten a plyer. Another better solution might be to go to a lower diameter string.

pearl drill bit link below
https://www.etsy.com/listing/231888...earch_query=pearl drill bits&ref=sr_gallery_1

What a great topic!! Occasionally I use an electric reamer similar to this one (prefer over the battery one I had). This one goes to 18,000 rpm, mine is old and only goes to 12,000rpm.

Will definitely be getting the Irwin clamps, they look awesome. own an older dremel; badly need classes in how to use properly.

Thank you, all!

good advice, Katbran. Yes, that is what I do as well - bring the pearl to the drill, not the other way around!

Back