• Used only in specific situations

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Not Tahitian

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Not natural color

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Designerbrenda

I purchased several Tahitian pearls from a reputable dealer at a gem show open only to people in the industry. The pearls were indicated as Tahitian. However, some are 7.2 mm - 9mm. Is it possible that a genuine, untreated 7.2 mm could be Tahitian? The luster is beautiful and color varies slightly from pearl to pearl.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 29
If they used 5.4mm implants, they certainly are possible. More likely, they were from 6mm implants and illegally exported or grown outside of French Polynesia. They need a minimum of .8 nacre thickness to export legally. That would add 1.6mm to the thickness of the bead size.

9mm Tahitian pearls are common. The smaller pearls are first graft and usually have the best color and luster. This generally degrades as the animals age and are re-implanted with larger beads, although there are exceptions. :)

A lot of pearls leave French Polinesia without having passed Xray … expecially through HK …

Under 6 are indeed possible. Very hard to find these days because everyone wants to grow big big big. I'm sometimes asked for them as replacements in older jewellery.
The nacre depth requirement/x-ray law has been scrapped now

Unfortunatly, rules have changed since july 17 (country law N° 2017-16). Now, tahitian pearls farmers can sell pearls with less than 0.8mm nacre thick. In order to work their own will, they can ask a legal expertise certificate (toll-free for them) to certify nacre is 0.8mm thick or more, but that's all :(

Last edited:
At the show in HK the 'new' tiny ones went very quickly apparently. Cees said the little 5-6 strands were gone in the first hour leaving the 'larger' 5-7 available for a short time. I asked what size bead they are using .. obviously its smaller than 5 .. but couldn't find anyone who knew the answer. Jeremy might know. Your pearls are lovely - gorgeous lustre !

Back