Tahitian pearl price-points

I hope to have not done to many mistakes in my poor english ! :rolleyes:

Welcome Fabio.
Thank you for your contribution, both to Pearl Guide and to your lucky customers. Your English is very understandable :)

Welcome Fabio,

Your way of looking at jewlery sounds a lot like our Dutch friend here on the forum who also loves pearls and takes his work very seriously. Good for you! and your customers...

- Karin

This wasn't the exact thread I was thinking of, Renna, but the info is good. I'll keep looking.

They're only at 55% of their goal and the deadline for the drawings is Monday night at 11:59 pm EST.

When you state don't buy Tahitian pearls from China, why? Are thinking of the cultured pearls that with a lack of nacre? On-line china pearls we do see on Ebay? Or in general?

Because Tahitian pearls come from French Polynesia, not China. China produces dyed freshwater look-alikes by the kilo though

Wow, a lot of information. I need to keep this writing as the information is Written so I can understand. Thank you.

Of course, I am soooo stupid. I should have thought of that. I was thinking of Chinese businesses that buy Tahitian pearls, blah, blah, blah.
I totally agree. Thank you for your correction. Bluidragon.

Very few mainland chinese pearl sellers sell genuine Tahitian pearls. In Hong Kong, yes. Some do. But not mainland. Most times they are the fakes - right along with the fake sea of cortez, south sea,kasumi and every other type of pearl you can think of.

When I see many mainland Chinese buying full bags of Tahitian and white and golden South Sea pearls I can hardly believe that they hardly sell these pearls as China is the biggest buyer. The price might be not so interesting as import taxes are high. Some Japanese wholesalers on the Hong Kong Fair sell most of their entire stock to China with lower margins than others do. The first day they keep the prices higher than the 2nd day, I noticed. Once the price per momme was interesting to the Chinese big bags with 1000 and more pearls were moving fast. They have a particular taste for only round, dark green. No fancy colors.

When I see many mainland Chinese buying full bags of Tahitian and white and golden South Sea pearls I can hardly believe that they hardly sell these pearls as China is the biggest buyer. The price might be not so interesting as import taxes are high. Some Japanese wholesalers on the Hong Kong Fair sell most of their entire stock to China with lower margins than others do. The first day they keep the prices higher than the 2nd day, I noticed. Once the price per momme was interesting to the Chinese big bags with 1000 and more pearls were moving fast. They have a particular taste for only round, dark green. No fancy colors.

I wonder if they will continue to be large buyers, given the state of the financial markets this past week.

The price you pay for your Tahitian lots is, as Jeremy said earlier in the thread, partially dependent on the lot size you are purchasing, however during Covid it has been more about the timing of your purchase. We have been buying at many of the on line Tahitian auctions and it is clear that there are very few buyers out there. At an auction that finished last week we got most lots at the opening price. Some lots had very low opening prices and we were successful even at that low level.
Having said that, buying on line without seeing, touching and really sorting the goods is a dangerous ‘game’ and certainly not for everyone.

Thanks Baby Nurse ... it's a favorite of mine. I just wish the photo, as great as it is (courtesy of Pearl Paradise glamour shot, not my bad photography), could capture that unusual glittery edge along the carvings. Subtle, but yet like the edges were dipped in the finest bit of diamond dust, and only seen in certain lights. My "acorn" pearls don't really exhibit the same, but those are much darker in color.

Back