Buying loose pearls for a necklace?

I agree with echo. Collecting pearls for a strand sounds fun and romantic, but it would take years and years. Professional jewelers can spend years collecting the right pearls for a special strand, and they have access to the harvests. Maybe if I could sit and sort pearls at the farm, I'd select enough for a necklace, but that's not in my future.
Another option that crossed my mind is to buy a few multi-color Tahitian strands and take them apart. For myself, in my strands, there are always a few pearls that speak to me more than the rest.

I have been considering that as well but as I just want one strand of pearls (and don't make my own pearl jewelry) I think that would leave me with more pearls than what I would have use for. One option is of course to buy a strand and then exchange a few of the pearls with others. Every time I see a picture of a few pearls, there is usually one that speak to me more than the rest. My dream would be to be able to select the pearls in person from a big selection of pearls but I don't see how that would be possible so I think it is better for me to work with someone who understands what I want and can help me to get it.

Good luck with your necklace, Precious Pearl! I would never try to steer anyone in deciding what type of pearl to collect because that is all in what appeals to you, but, I am going to say, if you specifically want colorful round pearls, then Fiji pearls or Sea of Cortez are going to be costly and time consuming to collect. They are far more rare than Tahitians, and adding the specific of round pearls is going to exponentially add to the cost and time to collect. 10mm round Tahitians are not uncommon, and you should be able to find some very nice, colorful ones in that size range. If you do choose to collect one pearl at a time, there are many ways to enjoy wearing the pearls along the way- especially in a tin cup style, then bracelet, etc. Have fun!

Thanks a lot! I think you are right, especially as I have now learnt that a 10 mm Sea of Cortez pearl is considered to be "big". I will try to educate myself more and then make my decision regarding buying loose pearls or a strand.

echo I also used to think that keshis and baroque pearls were definitely not for me, like how could anyone want to wear imperfect pearls? Now I am obsessed with them and can't believe I ever felt otherwise :silly:

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's opinions on this topic! Good luck Precious Pearl, and let us know what you eventually decide!

Precious pearl if you know what you want and you want only special colors strand of 10mm round Tahitian pearls your best option is to work with a reliable vendor (you are not based in the US so I think Cees Van Oije of Amsterdam Pearls would be perfect for you). This way you can buy a few pearls at a time according to your budget and build up the necklace. But as others have mentioned, it will be more expensive than buying the whole strand.

I have collected pearls for my Tahitian Love strand for the last 5 years; I wanted oval/drop shapes which are easier to find online. It was a fun adventure and I loved the “hunt” but beware, you will definitely end up buying more pearls than you may have planned as the “hunt” means exposure to many pearly temptations which are not exactly the ones you are looking for but you realize that you absolutely need them nevertheless...

Good luck with finding your dream pearls! I would love to see them once you make your decision.
FC07ABA2-95E7-456A-9F67-03B96E48160D.jpeg - Click image for larger version  Name:	FC07ABA2-95E7-456A-9F67-03B96E48160D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	163.0 KB ID:	458088

Precious pearl if you know what you want and you want only special colors strand of 10mm round Tahitian pearls your best option is to work with a reliable vendor (you are not based in the US so I think Cees Van Oije of Amsterdam Pearls would be perfect for you). This way you can buy a few pearls at a time according to your budget and build up the necklace. But as others have mentioned, it will be more expensive than buying the whole strand.

I have collected pearls for my Tahitian Love strand for the last 5 years; I wanted oval/drop shapes which are easier to find online. It was a fun adventure and I loved the “hunt” but beware, you will definitely end up buying more pearls than you may have planned as the “hunt” means exposure to many pearly temptations which are not exactly the ones you are looking for but you realize that you absolutely need them nevertheless...

Good luck with finding your dream pearls! I would love to see them once you make your decision.

Thanks a lot for your reply! I love your strand and it is great to hear that I am not the only one thinking of collecting pearls for a strand. Your strand is beautiful!

Beautiful strand!

Back