Buying loose pearls for a necklace?

Precious Pearl

I have an idea of that I one day would like to have a multicoloured Tahitian pearl necklace with pearls in very "vivid" colours. Is it stupid to try to buy pearl by pearl if I see some really "special" pearls (obviously I have to decide upon what size of the pearls would be good and what quality) or it just stupid? I think the "process" trying to find real special pearls could be fun. Also what colours are available? I have read about different "overtones" but what pearl colours are there if I want really strong colours?

Hmmm tough question to answer!
I believe the easiest option if to first "shop around" to see what catches your eye...make a list of the vendors and products that have caught your eye.
Adding a price tag will be helpful too, if you are buying on a budget.

Then, using your browser, make all the different products show up next to each other (if possible, or just switch from one tab to the other) so you can compare visually.

Then, answer these questions:
What do I prefer? Lighter/darker colors? Shapes? Metallic/Pastel colors? Any specific pearl variety you like? Kasumis, Cortez, Fiyi, Tahitian, FWPs, Akoya, etc.

I believe doing this will help you make up your mind better and pinpoint what you would want from a vendor or even for your project.

Regarding colors...ALL COLORS are available if you choose Pearls! Not only do you have access to natural colors, but also to dyed colors. So, this will not be limiting unless you want really rare natural colors (that will command higher prices too).

This is not a stupid question at all! And you can have great fun making your own necklace...if you are used to making jewelry. It can also become a source of frustration if you are just starting, but on the forum we have splendid people that know their way around jewelry making.

So, I believe you first have to make up your mind on what exactly you want, and from there it will be easier to navigate so you can find all the pieces on your jigsaw.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your reply CortezPearls - I very much appreciate it! I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I am not interested in dyed pearls at all, I am only interested in natural coloured pearls. Also the pearls that have caught my interest are Cortez, Fiji (I have been looking at J.Hunter Pearls but there may be others as well) and Tahitian pearls. I am not sure it is possible to get loose pearls from Cortez and J.Hunter and maybe there are some other pearl farms or suppliers selling more "colourful" pearls?! I do have a Kamoka pearl that I got from PP many years ago and I love it, it is fantastic but I am not sure of how big variation in terms of colour it is if deciding upon Kamoka pearls.

I think I prefer those called "pastel" but I really want different colours, not just different overtones (if it is available). Then I want round pearls, really good "quality" and as close to 10 mm as I possible could find (I don't know what "variance" in terms of size could be acceptable but still the eye would think the pearls are 10 mm). I have no interest in making the pearl strand (that a jeweler could do for me I guess), I am more interested in selecting and collecting the pearls (and I guess it could take years before the strand is ready). I will look around a bit more to see if I can make up my mind regarding the pearls and then see if I can find a vendor who is willing to work with me even if I just would like to purchase loose pearls and maybe just one at a time.

Well, you can indeed purchase individual pearls from Cortez, and other vendors will probably also sell you the amounts required for a necklace...or you can just buy a few pearls every year until you end up with 40+ to be used for a necklace.

Well, you can indeed purchase individual pearls from Cortez, and other vendors will probably also sell you the amounts required for a necklace...or you can just buy a few pearls every year until you end up with 40+ to be used for a necklace.

Thanks! I have checked prices of both Fiji and Cortez (i was looking at pendants and earrings) but although it is difficult to find more amazing pearls I believe I have to look for Tahitian ones (they seemed to be at least around 1000 usd per pearl if not more).

From a value perspective of a pearl strand, would the best be to buy the same type of pearls (for example from a special pearl farm although I guess I have to buy from a vendor) or doesn’t it matter as long as they are all Tahitian pearls?

I have for a while now been collecting the lightest coloured Tahitian pearls I can find for a silvery-white strand. I love the current necklace (below), though it’s still a work in progress. It’s fun searching for pearls with specific characteristics, but I must say that it is a slow and very expensive way to make a strand!
Buying by piece is so much more expensive than buying batches or temp strands, I imagine even more so if you’re looking for very special, pendant-quality individual pearls. I could easily have bought 3 mixed baroque strands of similar size and quality for what I’ve spent on this one so far.
That said, the hunt for the right pearls is fun, and if you are patient and willing to invest, I’m sure you could make something very special - good luck!

Attachments

• 8AB911BB-64EE-446B-8413-38D9CFB0A401.jpeg
    8AB911BB-64EE-446B-8413-38D9CFB0A401.jpeg
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 82
SydK Your pearls are beautiful - fantastic colour! Your reply was very helpful as well. I was afraid of that it would be much more expensive if “collecting” the pearls one by one. You are right, I am thinking of “gem quality” pearls in “strong” colours, I have seen photos of a few strands that are beyond amazing (but expensive) so I thought it could be more fun to collecting the pearls one but one than saving money monthly until I could buy such pearl strand. On the other hand I guess I have to think of shipping fees and admin fee for customs that will be per pearl (VAT will be the same regardless) as opposed for a strand if buying the pearls one by one. I guess also the price per pearl is higher if buying them individually as you write, I need to try to figure out how much higher,,, Have you bought your pearls from online vendors? That is obviously what I am thinking of.

Collecting pearls individually will indeed be very expensive, and with the added hurdle that usually individual pearls come undrilled, so you would have to get them drilled.
Having a firm specification and approaching an expert vendor is going to be both easier and cheaper. As you rightly say, importing single pearls will soon rack up big border costs (duty, VAT, shipping company customs agent fees of at least £10 a pop into the UK for example- none of which actually contributes to your necklace).
But - of course - collecting one by one as a years' long project has intrinsic fun. I've been collecting pink Tahitians for myself for some years (but then I have it easy to do that!)

Precious Pearl I am a huge fan of collecting pearl by pearl when it is a really special pearl varietal, even though as mentioned, it is definitely more expensive in the long run. However, some pearls can be cost prohibitive when purchased as a strand, depending on one's budget - if you're impatient like I am, you want to get started collecting right away instead of saving up for a strand! A few cost saving tricks I've used in the past include starting with a bracelet then mixing the pearls I'm collecting with less expensive pearls or beads, or spacing them out on a strand with wire wrapping or "floating" chains. I have been collecting individual Cortez pearls for several years now, since I was way too impatient to save up for a strand. And I completely agree with SydK that the hunt for the perfect pearl that you want is really special and fun!

pearlescence I would so love to see your pink tahitians!!! I bet they are incredible.

pearlescence I would so love to see your pink tahitians!!! I bet they are incredible.[/QUOTE] the collection is on hold till I can get back to Hong Kong. Dang this covid.

Collecting pearls individually will indeed be very expensive, and with the added hurdle that usually individual pearls come undrilled, so you would have to get them drilled.
Having a firm specification and approaching an expert vendor is going to be both easier and cheaper. As you rightly say, importing single pearls will soon rack up big border costs (duty, VAT, shipping company customs agent fees of at least £10 a pop into the UK for example- none of which actually contributes to your necklace).
But - of course - collecting one by one as a years' long project has intrinsic fun. I've been collecting pink Tahitians for myself for some years (but then I have it easy to do that!)
I have realized I need to an expert vendor. Also getting a few pearls each time seems to be better than purchasing just one. Pink Tahitians seems amazing!

You will want to consider if the size has to match. That would make it a lot harder.

I love this idea and I seriously thought of making myself a SoC pearl necklace this way a while ago. However, I know no other way to buy big single SoC pearls other than scarcely I spot one from Druzy's, and those usually come with 24k vermeil as pendants, so I gave up. My updated plan is to look for a better paid job in future and then find a reputable vendor and buy a strand... :grumpy:

I love this idea and I seriously thought of making myself a SoC pearl necklace this way a while ago. However, I know no other way to buy big single SoC pearls other than scarcely I spot one from Druzy's, and those usually come with 24k vermeil as pendants, so I gave up. My updated plan is to look for a better paid job in future and then find a reputable vendor and buy a strand... :grumpy:

For some reason "collecting" the pearls one by one feels really nice even if it is more expensive but I do agree with that buying pendants may not be the best solution... I am leaning towards Tahitian pearls but Cortez pearls are amazing and so are Fuji pearls. I want round pearls, very good quality, as "colourful" as possible and 10 mm so I think Cortez or Fuji will be too expensive. I hope you will get your Cortez strand in the future and when you do, please share!

This may not sound helpful. But my solution to this kind of situation is to lower my ambition. Since I don’t have the money to have it all, I compromise on aspects I consider less important and go for the one or two things I love most about pearls. I used to loathe keshi and circled pearls thinking they are ugly looking. But now they are some of my absolutely favourite pearls. Personally I feel what I can put on and enjoy now is much more pleasing than the dream pearl in the distant future ;)

I agree with echo. Collecting pearls for a strand sounds fun and romantic, but it would take years and years. Professional jewelers can spend years collecting the right pearls for a special strand, and they have access to the harvests. Maybe if I could sit and sort pearls at the farm, I'd select enough for a necklace, but that's not in my future.
Another option that crossed my mind is to buy a few multi-color Tahitian strands and take them apart. For myself, in my strands, there are always a few pearls that speak to me more than the rest.

Absolutely! Being the one that picks up each pearl makes it...Intimate! But...it may be time consuming and expensive.

Good luck with your necklace, Precious Pearl! I would never try to steer anyone in deciding what type of pearl to collect because that is all in what appeals to you, but, I am going to say, if you specifically want colorful round pearls, then Fiji pearls or Sea of Cortez are going to be costly and time consuming to collect. They are far more rare than Tahitians, and adding the specific of round pearls is going to exponentially add to the cost and time to collect. 10mm round Tahitians are not uncommon, and you should be able to find some very nice, colorful ones in that size range. If you do choose to collect one pearl at a time, there are many ways to enjoy wearing the pearls along the way- especially in a tin cup style, then bracelet, etc. Have fun!

This may not sound helpful. But my solution to this kind of situation is to lower my ambition. Since I don’t have the money to have it all, I compromise on aspects I consider less important and go for the one or two things I love most about pearls. I used to loathe keshi and circled pearls thinking they are ugly looking. But now they are some of my absolutely favourite pearls. Personally I feel what I can put on and enjoy now is much more pleasing than the dream pearl in the distant future ;)

I don't think I will compromise with what I want. I know I would regret such decision. I like keshi and circled pearls but it is not what I have in mind for now. I like the idea of handpicking the pearls (even if I unfortunately won't be able to see the pearls in real life in person before buying) so unless I will learn that it is impossible to get a good "match" of the pearls buy buying them one by one or maybe a few at a time or that it will be x times more expensive, I think I may go for that option.

Back