Pearl farm on Apataki

J

julianner

Hi everyone,

I am planning to travel to Tahiti in a few months time to stay on a pearl farm on Apataki for a week. I'll be going to observe, take photos, see how it's all done.

I'm just wondering whether any of you know anything about the farms at Apataki, or have been there and could tell me a bit about them.

Thanks.
Julianne

Apataki

Apataki

While I've never been to the Tahitian pearl farm in Apataki, which is part of the Tuamotu islands, there are a lot of interesting articles on the web about the island in general. As with most of the French Polynesian atolls, it is spectacular and beautiful. Here is a picture of the village on Apataki:

Apataki Village

Here is a link to the official Tahiti tourism site, which includes her neighboring islands. http://www.tahiti-tourisme.com/

Lastly, just for fun, here is a picture of Apataki taken by satellite:
Apataki from Space

I have never been there. I am sure you wil have a great time, though. It is a small island which focuses on perliculture. There are fewer than 400 people on the island and that is more than double the population before farming came.
I believe Apataki is a part of the E.I.G., Poe Rava Nui group. I am sure you will know for sure when you come back!

Been to Manihi and Takapotu and the diving was great. Pretty much narrow sandbars with big lagoons.

Thanks guys for your input. And for that picture of the village - I hadn't seen that before. Always nice to know where you're going ... ;)

When you get back, I'm sure many of the forum viewers would love to hear about your experience.

Sounds Great

Sounds Great

Julianne's trip sounds great. Does anyone (perhaps Julianne) have any thoughts on how one could arrange such a trip. Is it necessary to have a personal invitation?...or are there ways to arrange such an opporunity without having the contact?

Dave

Dave Battles said:
Julianne's trip sounds great. Does anyone (perhaps Julianne) have any thoughts on how one could arrange such a trip. Is it necessary to have a personal invitation?...or are there ways to arrange such an opporunity without having the contact?

Dave

Dave,
It's been one of those funny series of coincidences, where puzzle pieces just seem to fall into place.
I made some email enquiries, which were sent on to other people, who then contacted me, so in way, yes, it is by personal invitation. I have now travelled to another city to meet the people who contacted me via email and formed business relationships with them. I will be meeting someone else who contacted me via this forum, when I get to Tahiti. And maybe someone else from the forum when he comes to Australia. What a great network!
I guess my advice is to decide what you REALLY want, start making enquiries and if you're ready for them, the opportunities will present themselves to you. This would not have happened to me even 18 months ago, because I was not ready to receive it. Sound weird? Maybe, but it's how I see it.
I'm off to Tahiti at the beginning of June, so stay tuned for the next chapter!

Last edited by a moderator:
Julianne,

Thanks for the insight as to how these opportunities arise. I agree with you and you don't sound "weird" to me. The timing for me to take a Tahitian pearl farm trip is not quite right...things are too hectic just now...perhaps sometime next year. Anyway, I'm glad you had the opportunity and I'm sure is was terrific and your upcoming trip in June sounds great as well. All the best to you on your travels.

Dave

tahitian student in Australia

tahitian student in Australia

Hi, Julianne

Actually studying in Townsville, i come from Tahiti. Its really good that you have this opportunity, Apataki is a great island (tiny one but beautiful). My parents have a pearl farm in Manihi, another island close to Apataki, therefore I would like to have your opinions on your trip when you will be coming back.
Enjoy,
nanihh

nanihh said:
Hi, Julianne

Actually studying in Townsville, i come from Tahiti. Its really good that you have this opportunity, Apataki is a great island (tiny one but beautiful). My parents have a pearl farm in Manihi, another island close to Apataki, therefore I would like to have your opinions on your trip when you will be coming back.
Enjoy,
nanihh

Maururu Nanihh!

I will certainly post to this forum when I get back.

Regards,
Julianne

Hi Julianne,

I just spotted this thread.
Here's a photo and a map:

Niutahi village and airstrip.
Apataki_02.jpg

This is a PDF map of the atoll:
http://www.effisk.net/misc/Apataki.pdf

Thanks Effisk, sorry for delay in replying, am having a few comms challenges at this end!

Woweee! So there's the airstrip I'll be scooting along and the village. There's not much land, is there! :eek:

you might want to wear your snorkeling equiment for landing. You never know :D

I'm back

I'm back

Hi everyone,

Well, for those of you who've been sitting on the edges of your seats wondering if and when I'd return from Apataki, I'm back home again now after the trip of a lifetime. I've made new friends and met so many lovely people who were only too willing to talk to me and be patient with my faltering French.

See that picture of the village above, well, I've walked around that little island a couple of times, been fishing off the coast and snorkelling at the edge of the dropoff (it was OK, effisk, the runway was long enough ... just!)

Oh, the pearl farm? You want to know about the pearl farm? I had an incredibly interesting time there, watching all stages of production going on all at once. If you want to know what hard and constant work is, go and work on a pearl farm. Those people sure earn their money.

I've started to make a CD with text and pictures, but it will take me a couple of weeks to get it all together and it needs to get approval from the folk in Tahiti to be sure I don't give away any company secrets. I'll let you all know when it's ready if anyone is interested.

Well, now it's back to the drawing board to plan the next part of the adventure...
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hullo there effisk, thanks. I was just having a look at your website. Some gorgeous pearls!

Hi effisk,

Yes, I've finally got my act together! I not only have the CDs done (the presentation is actually copied to DVD due to a planning error), but I also have cardboard mailers and export stickers ready to go.

My plan for tomorrow is to contact all those lovely people who have ordered one, let them know the final cost for postage to whichever country they're in, and see if it's OK to bill them on PayPal. Also to check that DVD is OK, otherwise I'll dash to the shop and buy some CDs. However, the DVDs have this gorgeous pearly look to the surface! (Yeah, I know, not much good if your PC or Mac won't read it!)

Anyway, I've tested it on both PC and Mac and it works fine.

Phew! It's taken way longer than I thought it would. Thanks for your patience. I hope you like it when you finally get yours.

Cheers,

Back