Tahitian Tiaras???

86Corvettegirl

I have always been fascinated by the jewels of Royal families, especially Tiaras & Pearls. There are a lot of Pearl jewelry in royal collections but I don't see very many Tahitian or GSS. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a Tiara with Tahitian Pearls. Is it because they only favor white pearls??? I would think that once the islands of Tahiti, Bora Bora, Fiji, & the island of Indonesia were discovered, the pearls from those areas would be prized. I would love to see a Tahitian Tiara & other exotic pearls from Royal collections. I know a beautiful strand of J Hunter Fiji pearls were presented to Megan Markle when she & Prince Harry were there but haven't seen them since. It's a shame those beautiful Fiji's are not being worn & loved. Anyone have any pics of Royal exotic pearls???

I haven't ever seen a tahitian tiara. Perhaps most of the royal families tiaras are old and often made in or for europeans, who prefered white pearls. White pearls are still prefered in europe, more tahitians and golden south seas for me, yay. But I agree, a tahitian tiara would be beautiful.

Charlotta, while I don't think a tiara would suit me & my lifestyle, if I were to ever wear one, it would have to be a Tahitian or South sea.

I agree, should I wear a tiara it would be a tahitian or south sea one. Preferebly without diamonds. Prefer colorful stones. It would likely be a very colorful one...not royal at all. A rainbow tiara!

Most tiaras are century or more old. Tahitian pearls only came on the market in the middle of the 1900s. That's why you don't see Tahitian tiaras.

That makes sense, BW. Seems to me that some of the younger Royals would like a modern tiara of Tahitians. I know Queen Maxima of the Netherlands has a few beautiful Tahitians. She's a bit fashion forward & daring in my opinion & I think she could pull it off.

Tahitians would be faboulous in a tiara. There were some black pearls from the california bay (?) or somewhere similar that were fished to extinction. There were at least some grayish pearls I believe during the reine of Elisabeth 1. Somewhere I read that european women prefered white pearls to go with their pale complexion. I think that it would be costly for the modern royal families to make new tiaras nowadays. Maybe the swedish royal family made a tiara for Prince Philips now wife as a wedding gift? I don't really recall. I know that’s it's her property and doesn't belong to the crown. It has emeralds that can be exchanged for other gems in the prongs (? Don't know the right word for it). I think that she has diamond drops and turquoise drops to add to it as well. It is a beautiful tiara, but not as big as those that the queen usually wears.

I googled that tiara of princess Sofia. It was indeed a gift from the King and queen. They modified a diamond necklace. There are at the moment emeralds, pearls and turquoises that can be added to the tiara. It can also be worn on it's own. Quite the transformer piece. It looks beautiful on her.

Most royalty now do not spend money on frivolity if tiaras. Occasionally yes but mostly they are family pieces over a century old.

Historically pearls were the ultimate status symbol. Many come from lakes, streams and river beds farmed out 150 years ago or more. Having the pearls was the aim not the type. The most popular since Queen Elizabeth I had been Persian gulf pearls.

Tahitians and SS were not brought to market until the mid 20th century, if I recall correctly.

I wonder, since some tiaras have interchangeable gemstones, if they ever considered having Tahitian or GSS pearls made to interchange on some of the existing tiaras. That would be cheaper than creating a new tiara. I think they would be beautiful!!

I wonder, since some tiaras have interchangeable gemstones, if they ever considered having Tahitian or GSS pearls made to interchange on some of the existing tiaras. That would be cheaper than creating a new tiara. I think they would be beautiful!!

That would be something to suggest to those who take care of the royal jewels. Never know who gets the bug in the ear to do something like that.

Back