Paspaley Pearls and GIA comment "polished"

PearlGirl6622

Dear Pearl-Guide Forum,

I am hoping that I may seek clarification from this community on a GIA certificate comment noted on my strand of Australian South Sea pearls. The comment at the bottom simply reads, "polished." The pearls are Paspaley brand, white, clean, near round, very good lustre. Does "polished" have particular meaning by GIA definition? Or does this simply mean the pearls were hand polished, or ?

With thanks in advance for your assistance,
PearlGirl6622

Welcome! I have been to Paspaley operations in Darwin and they do some polishing. You shouldn't be concerned with their durability. Polishing is done in a tumbler or on a wheel to touch up any film or protein remaining on the surface. It is not unusual or necesarily detrimental. When a gemologist grades a gem, they record what they see - it's just an observation. If they said extensive polishing marks, then I would be worried. :)

the polishing is done with pineapple or corn fibre.

Believe GIA no longer state polished on their reports as many pearls are automatically polished these days & most (all?) other labs don't mention it. Best to contact the Bangkok branch and speak directly if you want further information, but the replies received so far look very helpful and factual :) Agreed that "heavily polished" would be of more concern GemGeek!

Back