Pink?

Rebecka

Can a south sea pearl be naturally pink? Or when a south sea pearl is pink, does that mean that it has been dyed?
I saw a photo of a carved pink south sea pearl ring today.

Thanks starsinthesea :)

Here is a photo of the ring from AG/AU goldsmiths:
agau.jpg

Jeremy, it didn't even cross my mind that it'd be a different type of pearl, I just thought it may have been dyed. I feel sorry for both the goldsmith and the customer (although they will probably never find out). It's a reputable goldsmith, so I believe that it'd be an honest mistake on her part. She may have been duped from wherever she puys her pearls.

Katbran, yes it is quite cool isn't it? I like this goldsmith's work, her designs are great.

well it's just not a common color for SSPs, I've only seen it a couple of times before. But in freshwater pearls we see that color all the time, so based on that fact it seems most likely it's a FWP.

I asked the farm manager about that pinky/lavender pearl and they said some of the oysters produce that color, but they try to selectively breed it out. In other words they don't want the lavender color and only rarely occurs.

Interestingly she did tell me that if they wanted to selectively breed for that color they could produce it regularly. So down the road we may see other color options if someone gets the inclination to branch out of whites and golds.

That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing :)

Freshwaters come in that color naturally, though. (No need for it to be dyed.)

Back