newbie here, question about gss studs

moonpie

Hi all. I've been reading over this (and other) forums for the past week or so since my new found love of gold pearls. Specifically southsea ones because I love the rarity factor :)

I am seriously thinking about purchasing a pair of "medium to dark gold" ss stud earrings in 18k yellow gold. The price is ?975.

It is from a reputable high street jeweller (i will be purchasing online and have not seen the item in person but have their assurance of the colour) but I wanted to ask you all if you think for this price it will be a 'wow' pair of pearls.

Like I say I've been looking over this forum and come across many beautiful, BEAUTIFUL pics of gss pearls and want to make sure the ones I plan to purchase don't dissapoint me.

Is that about the price I should be looking to pay for a beautiful set of gss or will I need to up my budget (which can't happen right now :(

This is my first pearl purchase (and quite possibly my last) so I'd love to get it right!

Many thanks for whatever insight you can give me

Can they email you photos? (For that much money I would think you'd want to see them before deciding.)

Moonpie, welcome!

1. Are the pearls graded, and does the company explain their grades?

2. What is the return policy? If for some reason they just don't work for you.

3. What size are they, and are they round, near round? For that price I'd think they would have a sharp luster and be blemish free or very close to it.

4. As PD suggested, they should be willing to provide photos of the actual pair of earrings.

5. All other qualities being equal, dark gold pearls are more valuable than medium gold.

For your budget, you deserve amazing earrings! Please give us more information~

Since you give the price in ? I'm assuming you are in the UK. You don't need to worry about return policy because you will be covered to return for two weeks by law for any reason at all - that's EU law on online commerce. Just don't wear them or break any seal.
For that price (on the High Street) you should be getting the very best dark and large on higher than 9ct gold. (are you paying a High Street price for an online purchase though? And how expert is your High Street Jeweller in pearls?
My only quibble is that you want dark and they are assuring you of 'medium to dark gold'..which sounds a bit vague. Be sure they aren't dyed too.

If you can provide a picture or link to the picture that would help - people here who know GSS might be able to tell a bit more about the colour. Pearl colours in photos can be a bit unreliable. As you have guessed..there can be a big price difference depending on the colour with these pearls..let alone the size and the shape and the grade. If you could answer some of Pattyes questions that would help.

Wendy is a lawyer in the UK ( as well as having an online pearl company) and thus knowledgeable about the laws regarding online selling.

Since you give the price in ? I'm assuming you are in the UK. You don't need to worry about return policy because you will be covered to return for two weeks by law for any reason at all - that's EU law on online commerce. Just don't wear them or break any seal.
For that price (on the High Street) you should be getting the very best dark and large on higher than 9ct gold. (are you paying a High Street price for an online purchase though? And how expert is your High Street Jeweller in pearls?
My only quibble is that you want dark and they are assuring you of 'medium to dark gold'..which sounds a bit vague. Be sure they aren't dyed too.

Thank you everyone for your time and response. Wendy; yes I am in London and the ones I've seen are from ernest jones (a very well known high street jeweller). My local branch didn't have any in stock and would have needed to order in so I preferred to just come home and possibly order online. I am trying to educate myself as much as I can beforehand though and am throughly enjoying myself!

The picture on their website ( which is a standard stock photo) shows the pearls as round and deep gold (natural colour). Size is 10 - 11 mm and mounted on 18k gold.

As they are a proper high street company their returns policy is fine.

Wendy I had a quick look at your website and I must say, I am definetly intrigued. Your prices are so affordable and that's left me very confused! Granted I have only been looking at pearls in high street jewellers which I know can inflate prices by 200%

I do not mind my (very) hard earned savings going towards a pearl that deserves the price tag and I don't want to over spend on something where I will have been ripped off...

However while I almost expect some blemishes I am after a 'true' gold (not light or yellow) and hope to keep these (if i buy) as hair looms and thus feel such a well known high street jeweller will surely not send me a poor quality pearl...? (If only this were true...)

Back