New Golden South Sea Earrings on the Way!

Not an expert so I won't say much but the kitty is adorable and the strands are beautiful!

This is really a very informative thread so I'm glad you bumped it up and brought it back to life. I know very little about any SSP but am learning! :D

I think ultimately, we have to keep in mind that before we knew better pearls, we got a lot of pleasure from the lesser pearls we bought. That counts.

I hope one of the REAL experts gets a break in their schedule, so they can take a look (keeping in mind that this isn't a hands-on evaluation).

Purranha,
I've looked at your photos several times, and wouldn't consider my self an expert either. More photos of each individual item with close ups on the white background would be necessary before I could offer comments. Perhaps others felt the same. I realize you don't have the pearls in hand at this time to add photos, but in the future?

Thank you lisa c SO MUCH for bumping the thread - I so appreciate it!
Also thank you amit & Pattye for chiming in!

Yes I know I need to take better/more photos when I visit my mom in the next month, and a better assessment won't be possible until then. But would be nice to know if it is more in the "yellow" or "gold" category in the mean time!

Yes, I'm glad you just gave the thread a bump, too, because I forgot to say - they're really veeeery nice pearls!

One of the biggest problems with online evaluation is the screen we're looking at. They've improved a lot, but nothing beats eyesight.

Aww THANK YOU lisa c for the compliments!

The little WSSP is mine, and the 3 larger strands of WSSP GSSP Tahitian are my mom's. She wears the Tahitian most often, and reserves the WSSP for more formal outings, but she hardly ever touches the GSSP! I am staging a Search & Rescue mission this fall/winter when I visit and will be bringing it back to NY with me.

Kitty is my mom's - Toro (Japanese for fatty tuna belly sushi lol). I should post him onto the Pet channel too!

Search and Rescue! Good one Purrrranha; it's a noble pursuit! The pearls will thank you, if not your mother ;-)

I imagined…the vendor might have said one thing in their product presentation meeting (champagne, light golden, yellow..whatever), but the translation to the "On Air" presentation, then adding in the show-hosts lack of pearl knowledge... misinformation gets spread to an even wider audience (intentional or not…same result misinformation). Then when you consider a "GSSP" might be dyed it gets even trickier (disclosure issues come to mind) how many novices even think about this? When is documentation important…at a few hundred dollars, a few thousand?

My thoughts begin to wander to how close does a dye job get to the best in class natural color GSSP, and does the preponderance of dyed "GGSP" give an unrealistic expectation of the actual GSSP quantity in the market (this answer is obvious if dyed is the new norm). What does all of that do for the natural color YSSP, they are not as "industry" appreciated, but are truly natural color. This reminds me of the brown diamond's road to "fancy color", in times past they were so unappreciated, now diamonds are irradiated to get a constant fancy brown color to meet demand for "chocolate" diamonds. I'll be curious to see where the road takes natural color YSSP in the future. *Side note, imo the lighter yellow and YSSP pearls look particularly striking in combos with lighter/pink CFWP and WSSP, so I know they will always have a market that appreciates them.

My ramble over, this thread is indeed valuable, thanks to the OP and the experts for the examples and insight, and those that "bumped" it. Another tool in my arsenal of learning (and unlearning lol).

Giving this thread bump as I finally got my GSSP strand. It's deep golden with strong green n pink overtones but I dunno how it translates to the 22/24k scale though (can anyone help? I'll love to know). It was deep golden enough that I couldn't find matching earrings at this fair (not to mention to match the overtones). But color aside I think I mostly fell for the mesmerising overtones first.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just had to buy even though golden is not the most flattering color against my skin. :p

Thank you ckrickett, Amti and Lisa. :)

I've posted this in the other forum but in case you don't frequent that forum, here's one more pic that I like.
image.jpg

Totally gorgeous GSS and WSS pearls, Icy Jade, I always am thrilled to see more beautiful pearl photos! The overtones on the goldens are most interesting!

The stringing method on the GSS, is it on designer wire, with little white "bumpers" between? Are the WSS done the same way? The pinch clasps are easy to work; I personally love them!

Thanks, IcyJade, I'm over there once in a while, but def here most often, so I'm grateful for your pics here. That's a brilliant photo, the overtones come right through on my cell phone!

Icy your new pearls are of course TDF I just love them. The new avatar is jaw dropping too. Congratulations and enjoy your new beauties :)

IcyJade, the remarkable overtones on the GSS necklace are mesmerizing ... fantastic!

Holy Moly ! Those are the prettiest Golden pearls I've seen in ages! They are the same colour as a single oval pearl I saw the other day at a show ... I can now imagine what these beauties look like in real life !! That combo of pink and green ... well I was stunned by the pearl I looked at...if it had been a whole strand I might have fainted LOL ! Truly Jealous!!!

Wow IcyJade your strand is a crazy rich colour. I would say 24k or deeper comparing it to my 22k PP strand.

Back