Best Venue for Selling High End Pearls?

peterc620

Hi,

I'm selling an expensive necklace of South Sea Pearls that was appraised for $162,500 but have not been able to get offers over $10,000. Is the wholesale/retail price variance this great?

Also tried listing on eBay, no luck so far.. "18" South Sea Pearl Necklace AA & A 15-18.8mm 18k 96 Diamond Clasp $162,500 Appr"

The value of used jewelry is very rarely more than you paid for it - I know it's hard to hear. :(

A good indicator of value is the price you paid minus a large chunk for being "used", regardless of what the appraisal says. If the appraisal was for insurance replacement, it would be a lot higher than fair market value. A dealer would probably pay 25 to 35 percent of fair market value - not insurance replacement. From the description, there is no way it merits a six-figure price.

The value of used jewelry is very rarely more than you paid for it - I know it's hard to hear. :(

A good indicator of value is the price you paid minus a large chunk for being "used", regardless of what the appraisal says. If the appraisal was for insurance replacement, it would be a lot higher than fair market value. A dealer would probably pay 25 to 35 percent of fair market value - not insurance replacement. From the description, there is no way it merits a six-figure price.

Understood but the best offer I have so far (from a jewelry store) is only 1/16 of the appraisal. Is the fair market value only 40k-50k?

I got confused about the size of the pearls - they are very large pearls. Your best bet is to contact an auction company like Heritage or www.josephdumouchelle.com. People on eBay are looking for a bargain and anyone who is going to resell the pearls is looking to make a lot of money, since they may have to hold onto the pearls for a while before they can realize the sale. Good Luck! :)

Before contacting an auction house, can you post a photo here? I would be concerned about the A & AA on the appraisal. That doesn't really mean anything. If the shape and surface aren't fine, the value might not be anywhere near the appraisal.

Back