Color enhanced GSSP?

the smaller one 's (8-10 mm) ticket price is $5500, sale price is $1700, the larger one (10-12.5 mm) costs $3200 before tax after discount.

The pearls are nicely round though. I do prefer smallish SSPs and GSSPs (9-12mm) , because they have better luster, color, and overall bang for the buck, compared to the 13mm and bigger pearls.

Melody, can you take photos of flaws and inconsistent coloration, if any?

Melody, Welcome!

Yes, more photos please. On a white paper towel would be best. It's very difficult to evaluate the color against the bluish background, as the pearls can reflect the color. You look like a professional model in your photo, so pretty!

I'd certainly trust that pearls from Tahitian.biz are not dyed, also pearls from Pearl Paradise like this

Hi Melody,

I'm guessing the advice not to buy GSSP under 10 mm is that the risk of getting dyed freshwater pearls used to be greater and FWP are sold in many places as baby-SSP.

That being said I have a pair of 9 mm SSP that are definitely real as I bought them directly from Sven here on the forum. Plus these days FWP are getting bigger so I don't think that distinction is valid anymore.

It must be very tempting to keep both strands! :)

- Karin

Thanks all for your inputs.

here are some photos in its original size
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7263/13693450295_c21bbde281_k.jpg
( the file size is too big to post here, please copy the URL of the image to look)

13645218425_a6721cc66c_b.jpg
There is non single pearl in the smaller strand has a smooth surface like the pearl in my ring.

Did the store tell you these pearls naturally colored or treated? the price you paid was certainly not cheap but I would expect the real naturally colored golden south sea pearls to be more expensive. A quick search online I found this dyed golden south sea necklace at around $4000 from Nieman Marcus (it's larger in size though).

the smaller one 's (8-10 mm) ticket price is $5500, sale price is $1700, the larger one (10-12.5 mm) costs $3200 before tax after discount.

13705895893_633c7ae676_b.jpg

the sale person said that she don't know whether they were dyed or not.

this one shows some inconsistent coloration, shapes and flaws.
13706577864_19f29a02ce_b.jpg

Interesting. I prefer the smaller pearls because, to me, the color is prettier against your skin. Nobody ever really notices flaws unless they come in for a close inspection. :)

Some like their GSSPs on the champagne end of the spectrum; others, on the deep gold end. Then there are the green orient camp and the pink orient camp. Of course, many people say that the deeper the gold, the more expensive it looks. In the end, it is up to you. See which looks best on your skin. And you can't go wrong with keeping the one with the cleaner surface and stronger luster.

I was at Goldsmith's Hall in London yesterday (just to place drop!) and there was on display a gorgeous gold necklace made with blobby end caps on very pale GSS. They were cack pearls. Beautiful gold design and crafting but the pearls - I wouldn't have paid $100 in HK for them!. No pix allowed before you ask but I was tempted to tuck a card into the display case.

Melody, Welcome!

Yes, more photos please. On a white paper towel would be best. It's very difficult to evaluate the color against the bluish background, as the pearls can reflect the color. You look like a professional model in your photo, so pretty!

I'd certainly trust that pearls from Tahitian.biz are not dyed, also pearls from Pearl Paradise like this

Thanks Patty,

I decide to order the one from your link. I don't mind they are not been round as long as they are about the same shape.

Hi Melody,

I'm guessing the advice not to buy GSSP under 10 mm is that the risk of getting dyed freshwater pearls used to be greater and FWP are sold in many places as baby-SSP.

That being said I have a pair of 9 mm SSP that are definitely real as I bought them directly from Sven here on the forum. Plus these days FWP are getting bigger so I don't think that distinction is valid anymore.

It must be very tempting to keep both strands! :)

- Karin

Thanks for the comment.
The reason not to buy smaller pearls I heard is that pearls may not have enough thickness of nacre to last a few years. Do you know how big the size of implanted bead?

I've seen some 8mm and 9mm SSs. petite and pretty. Thickness of nacre is not related to size of bead but to how long the bead is left in the shell.

Back