Black baroque pearls on eBay

Marguerite

Hi.
I want some black baroque pearls, not top of the range but I want to avoid absolute fakes, so I have been looking on ebay and have realised how little I know about pearls! I didn't expect to find culture seawater pearls much less South Sea or Tahitian pearls for my budget but have found several - problem is I don't know whether to believe what the seller says in their listing! Here's what I've found
1. My favourites - unfortunately the seller only attached his one image american pearls.jpg
2. the cheapest baroque pearls on ebay. At least four sellers are using this image so I doubt that you would get the pearls shown - pity I like them they look sort of organic!
baroque pearlL.jpg
3. The most expensive of my selection
south sea pearls3.JPGsouth sea pearls4.jpg

I would appreciate your input and also an pointers on how to avoid being ripped off

They are dyed freshwater pearls, not natural color Tahitian or South Sea pearls. I don't know how they are being described, but given that it is eBay and you mentioned saltwater, they are probably fraudulently listed as Tahitian or South Sea pearls, which means the seller is a fraud. They are genuine pearls, but worth very little.

A Marguerite has to have proper pearls to live up to that name!
Plenty of people selling real Tahitians at great and honest prices- but you will probably not find them on eBay, where sadly, these days, 99% of the pearls are very low end freshwaters pretending to be something else from sellers cheating you either knowingly or unknowingly.
(The more expensive pearls were really ugly, I thought)
I know I am a seller but I mean it when I say you really do get what you pay for with pearls, at least with online sellers (I don't mean at bricks and mortar shops where the mark ups are enormous)

Last edited:
Try this website and see if it is within your budget:

http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/

If you don't mind buying dyed freshwaters, you can get a big look for relatively little money, and they are solid nacre. The color isn't real, but the pearl itself is real nacre. Just don't pay Tahitian prices for dyed freshwaters!!

Back