Baroque SSP strand?

carmen1

Hi there - I am starting a new job soon and would like to treat myself to a baroque SSP strand. However, I am completely new to the world of pearls and would love some advice in evaluating them as the grading standards vary between vendors, and I am not yet able to "read" the photos to know what to even look for. So this is a vendor photo comparing 2 strands, I think both are ~10-12mm. They both appear to be on the creamier side of white, is that a bad thing? I think I prefer the bottom strand, but I'm not wedded to anything at the moment, just want to learn what I should be looking for/considering before I purchase anything. Thanks in advance for your help!

southsea2.jpg

Too bad you can't take some photos yourself. They are just fuzzy enough to make it hard to tell what you are getting. Just make sure the seller has a good return policy. :)

While consistency in shape is always good, I tend to err on the side of luster. When pearls are lustrous, it's easier to overlook the other flaws ;) .

Which ever colour you like is good :) Creamy is usually less expensive than white or gold. Personally I think that's great as I prefer creamy over white.

- Karin

Thank you for the responses - sorry I haven't checked for replies in a while! Are there any generalizations as to what color pearls look best on certain skin tones? I am not sure whether the creamier tone of these pearls would be better or worse than whiter pearls.

Pearlescence - I do think this is a reputable seller, is there a reason you would be concerned they are not actually South Sea pearls? While not regularly mentioned on these boards, I have seen several posts both here and on another discussion board with good reviews of purchases from this seller. Unfortunately I'd have to purchase them to see them in person, although I think they are located nearby, they do not have a showroom. There is a 30-day return policy.

I do have 2 other photos from the vendor, if they help at all. The strand on the bottom in the original photo is also on the bottom & 2nd from top in both these photos, and the top strand is the top & 2nd from the bottom in these. Any thoughts on which of these strands, if any, would be nicer in person?

Thanks again for your helpful advice!

southsea3.jpg
southsea4.jpg

I wish those photos weren't so over-exposed. Is there any way at all you could ask the vendor for softer lighting and a white background? It makes it really difficult to evaluate luster and true color.

As for your question regarding Cream overtones- I love them, they look great on almost everybody, but you need to decide on what shade or saturation of Cream you want. If you get too saturated, you end up with yellowy-white pearls that maybe aren't so attractive. A good Cream will be a faint hint of French Vanilla, with iridescent shades of pink and violet to keep the pearls interesting to the eye. The shapes are nice- I always love a good, smooth drop! ;)

Thank you, very helpful advice! The seller described the color as creamy white with light pink overtones, I am drawn to the smoother shapes as well, just not sure whether they may have less luster. At this point I think I'll probably just pull the trigger, and if they are yellowish or dull I can return them. I'll be back to post photos when I receive them to get more advice, having not seen enough South Sea pearls in person to be able to judge the quality on their own!

I received them - here are some pics (sorry these are all taken on my phone and either in the harsh flourescent lights of my office or in my car, so maybe not so great):

photo_3.jpgphoto_5.jpg
pearls1.jpg

Any thoughts? I do like them, but I have no real basis for that since I don't have much for comparison. The size and shape are nice, I'm not bothered by the dimples and blemishes, for the price I paid I definitely didn't expect perfection. The color is ivory with pinkish overtones. I would describe the luster as satiny. Did I do alright or should I keep looking?

This seems one case where the pearls looked more beautiful IRL than in the seller's photos. Good choice!

Phew - much relief that I did ok with my first real pearl purchase!! Thanks so much for your help & opinions!

If those are bad pictures then my take is your pearls in real life must be absolutely stunning. Great choice and they look wonderful on you. Congratulations :)

They look absolutely beautiful on you! Wear them in good health. The color, shape and size are so flattering. Well done!

Back