Black South Sea Pearls?

O

operavopera

Hello. My husband will be traveling to the Philippines again. I already have deep golden SS pearls, as well as white and champagne. What about black? I read that the Philippines and Indonesia are known for white and golden SS pearls,but I have seen black ones there. Would these just be Tahitians (therefore more expensive imports), or are there black SS pearls? If there are, are they recommended? Just trying to figure out what to get next ~

Hi Opera,

Pinctada margaritifera does occur in the Philippines and Indonesia and is being cultured there, too, not only in French Polynesia. If the PPBs are attractive, go for it, if not not.

Zeide

Black South Sea pearls would be synonomous with Tahitian pearls.

Hmmm..., not sure I understand. Are you both saying the same thing? If black SS pearls come from the Philippines and Indonesia, are they the same as Tahitians? If they are different, would they have the beautiful peacock coloring as Tahitians do?

Tahitian is just the trade name. Tahitian pearls are not even farmed in Tahiti. The black South Sea pearls in the Philippines would also be Tahitians. The oyster is the same - Pinctada margaritifera.

Hi Caitlin,

And I thought it would be less offensive to sellers of marine cultured pearl plated beads.

Zeide

Great! I'll get some more Tahitian pearls! Question: Do you think a woman can ever own too many pearls?:p

Tahitian or other pearls and women in general

Tahitian or other pearls and women in general

Hi, Opera

You never ever can get too many pearlnecklaces or jewelry with pearls. Once You have started collecting these beauties You cannot stop! Just make sure You are able to wear them all so they keep their luster and beauty. And of course You should consider the Freshwater pearls as well as South Sea Pearls. The Freshwater pearls are solid nacre whereas the South Seas do have a nucleaus with no more nacre than a certain percent of the pearl.

Can You try and let us see some of your pearls as photos, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I would like to post pix. Like I said on another post, none of my pictures taken on macro option on my digital camera came out very well. I'll try again.

My jeweler was trying to sell me on tanzanites, but I told her that pearls fit my personality. I'm addicted to pearls now. And yes, I'm getting more into freshwater pearls too. All pearls are intriguing and mysterious; other stones are just pretty baubles to me.

operavopera said:
Great! I'll get some more Tahitian pearls! Question: Do you think a woman can ever own too many pearls?:p

Opera,

Therea re so many types, colora and shapes of pearls, and ways to utilize them in jewelry. a woman can never have to many ot these beauties!

TEh shor answer.. A woman can never have to many pearls

Cheers
Ash

Back