ss pearls from Indonesia?

mcmoo

Community member
Newbie here. Just wondering if ss pearls can come from indonesia.... thanks! I love this site. Great info!

There are a number of SS pearl farms in Indonesia. Welcome to PG!

Just make sure they are actual South Sea pearls. In so many places around the world, the less expensive cultured freshwater pearls are misrepresented as being something they are not. If you have questions about a specific website, you can always add a link here and members will comment. Or if you are considering purchasing an item, post photos.

Are you fortunate enough to go shopping in person?

What are the differences between Indonesian and Australian SS pearls? I don't really know of any good retailers around my area, so I've been looking at online retailers. I'm interested in finding a baroque ss pearl for a pendant.

I have bought a couple of things from IndoSea Pearls (Indonesia) and been very pleased. Indah is a member on here. I don't know anything about the difference between Indonesian and Australian SS pearls but, on this board, I'm sure someone will. :)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/IndoSeaPearls

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm eyeing some of the baroque south sea pearls from agustus. I think they would make pretty pendants.

What are the differences between Indonesian and Australian SS pearls? I don't really know of any good retailers around my area, so I've been looking at online retailers. I'm interested in finding a baroque ss pearl for a pendant.

Indonesian and Australian South Sea pearls are grown from the same mollusk - just in different geographical locations. There is no discernible difference, but the Australians have had more time perfecting their growing methods, and therefore, produce a larger percentage of high quality round pearls. There are more gold pearls in the Indonesian area and the Philippines because there are more gold lip Pinctada maxima oysters. The white pearls come from the silver lip Pinctada maxima oyster. Here is a video I made while I popped out a pearl in Kuri Bay, Northern Australia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q36hnmwRLQg

Last edited:
If it were me I would buy the Australian pearl first because the nucleus has a better chance at being a quality American shell nucleus if it comes from Australia. Like people, It's what's inside that makes the difference. Oh, I should write that down somewhere.;)

Back