Cassis? South Sea. Help, not sure what this is. Thank You

Lucia062983

I recently received this ring and its a little too big for me, (pearl) I am very curios what type of pearl this is. It is stamped A J copyright. 14k. I have taken this to a few places and only been offered $100 for the gold content, But I was told by one jeweler he believed this to be south sea cassis. PEARL.jpg

It's difficult to tell from the photo exactly what you have. Do you have the measurements of the pearl? A cassis pearl would be a non-nacreous pearl, and wouldn't be described as South Sea. It looks nothing like a cassis pearl, and there is no chance that it is. It looks like an akoya, but could be a small South Sea or freshwater as well.

can you inform us where you buy this, i bit agree it is south sea pearl, but to make sure 100% need better photo.

photo 4.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 1.jpgI wish I knew where it came from. I actually bought if off a craigslist type site, she didn't want it because an ex gave it to her and didn't give much info on it. She thought is was silver too. I took it to a few places and they confirmed that it is real, and thought south sea..but they didn't tell me much besides it is a very nice piece. Thanks again for helping!

for 10mm is the smallest size in south sea pearl, your ring look nice, you can sell online like in ebay (auction) i am sure you can sell it.
just say for 10mm pearl will weight 1.8grams, i do not know retail price for pearl, you can check it on online. inform us if it sold.. :)

Hi,Lucia That is a gorgeous ring- even if it were a fake pearl. And that doesn't even seem to be the case. Did you mean the ring was too big or the pearl in the ring is too big for you? 4.7 grams of ring minus 1.8gram of pearl =2.9 gram of gold. I did that in my head so not sure, but sounds like you would have lost big time if you sold the ring for the gold value.

I could not find anything comparable in the ebay sold listings, but that ring would be one of the finest currently 10mm SS available on Ebay and it is prettier than anything else currently for sale. It does look like 10mm SS rings are not getting that much money, mere hundreds, if they are even real. but I think yours is beautiful and classy.

If you sell, you won't get value and you will probably never see another one like it.

Sinju. A 10mm pearl weighs 1.8 grams. That is a great piece of info. THX! And it is 5 carats to make a gram? Sorry, I do not know size of pearl vs weight of pearls, at all, I am not a pro. Do all 10mm pearls weigh the same regardless of the mollusk? It would be easy to remember if it were a general rule and make guessing what the gold and stones weigh a little easier. Or I should say more fun, because it is going to be a wild guess, anyway.

Pearl#2.jpgThanks everyone, you were all VERY helpful! I think pearls are beautiful! BUT I didn't think that this one would be as big, then I found out that the value increases at around this size so I think I have decided to keep it for now anyway:) I even bought another! I really like this one too...I do that it was made in Italy, purchased in Venice 5 years ago for 800 euros. 14k 2 small real diamonds and a 16mm pearl, I think it it is a little smaller, but I will let you all know early next week!

Purchased in Venezia, Italy five years ago ? Really unusual that is 14k gold made ! Quite all italian jewels are 18k ! 14k it is only for export :confused:
Do you have a calipers ? It seems smaller than 16mm … maybe 13/14 …

...Do all 10mm pearls weigh the same regardless of the mollusk? It would be easy to remember if it were a general rule and make guessing what the gold and stones weigh a little easier. Or I should say more fun, because it is going to be a wild guess, anyway.

If I may, and based on my modest experience:
NO, all 10 mm do not have an identical mass. I am quite curious about the kind of nuclei used in Indonesia, as 1.8 grams (or 0.4801 momme) would be roughly equivalent to a 10.78 millimeter South Sea Pearl (values based on a few hundred of thousand of acquired data).
It may be due to the accuracy of the measurement, the shape of the pearl, the thickness of the coating and the species.
I recorded variation of density, depending on the origin of the pearl measured...
Of course nacre is nacre is the variation of density are quite small but nonetheless they do exist and are statistically viable.

Just an example a nuclei made of Tridacna maxima will have a greater mass for the same diameter than a nuclei made of pinctada maxima.

PS: One may reasonably object and say that 10 and 10.78 is quite similar, but in my trade I would think otherwise. a 10.00 and a 10.78 are not the same.

Just my two cents.

10mm round SS pearl is usually about 1.5gr.. 1.8gr will make it at least 10.5mm and above. Just based on my experience...
Thanks for confirming my allegations.
Maybe the pearl described in post#6 is not round (perfect round that is less than 2.5% ∆ Height and width)?

I think sinju just mentioned an approximate, something like 10-11mm. Here in Indonesia, many sellers don't use calipers and only scales to determine (predict) the size so the number that customers get is mostly approximate.

I think sinju just mentioned an approximate, something like 10-11mm. Here in Indonesia, many sellers don't use calipers and only scales to determine (predict) the size so the number that customers get is mostly approximate.
Then the post lacked accuracy.

Hi All thanks for your help
Please all make attention ...

just say for 10mm pearl will weight 1.8grams ...... Just say this wight is for Lucia , the owner of the Ring, to make Lucia Happy and can sell in good price. thanks for your help Linda.

i do not know why you are so busy with 10mm 1.8 grams, 10.mm have many weight, 10mm 10.1 10.2 10.3.... 10.9 if i talk with wholesale china and india buyer i should talk clearly.

i happy there is a professional person like linda here.. that understand what i said.

i like this forum since what i know many professional here...

thank You

Ok I have some more info on ring #2 This is white gold, maarks are worn off, I had it test it came back as 10k at a jewelry store. The pearl is a little over 10mm not any bigger, Another South Sea Pearl. I am unsure now on the purchase year, but it was purchased in Vicenza, Italy. This ring weighs 4.4 grams. The first weighs 4.8.
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on here...I also have another coming.

Back