My "Wilma Flintstone" necklace in the making!

dkan 168

I have started this thread to chronicle the making of my "Wilma Flintstone" baroque SSP necklace, as requested by a few ladies on PG.

It will be a 50th birthday present to myself in 2015, and I am hoping I shall have sufficient fund to purchase enough pearls for a 18in necklace by then.

The current specification for the necklace is for the largest pearl to be at least 20mm x 18mm, and the smallest around 15mm x 13mm, with silver overtone.

I toyed with the idea of silver-blue baroque SSPs first, after being tempted by pics of past creations by Agustus-Collection in my Giant Baroque SSP thread. However, they are quite rare, and it may take as long as several years in order to collect sufficient pearls for a necklace. Hence I decided on white pearls with silver overtone instead.

Thanks to the help and advice from Sven at Agustus-Collection, I have purchased my first pearl for the necklace, woo hoo! :cool:

This pearl is 15.20 x 13.84 x 12.87 mm, with a lovely silver sheen.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Sven will keep the pearl for me, so that he can look out for suitable pearls with similar colour and overtone to add to my collection in future.

Apart from Wilma Flintstone, it was this picture of Dame Helen Mirren wearing a big strand of baroque SSP that inspired me to create my own strand.

attachment.php

For some strange reason, she was wearing it the wrong way round, with smaller pearls and the clasp end in the front! However, the smallest pearls on either side of the clasp look huge, so the big ones must be enormous!

My pocket is unlikely to be as deep as hers though. :p

I wish my budget could stretch to a big diamond pave clasp in baroque shape so that I can showcase it by wearing it on the side of the neck. However, unless I win the lottery, it is not going to happen, as the one I like from KGH Jewellery has about 6ct of diamonds on it! :eek:

Therefore, I shall settle for one of the following lovely clasps instead, to be worn at the back of the neck:

attachment.php
attachment.php

The shinny one is 20mm x 13mm, and the matt one is 21.5mm x 11.5mm, both from KGH. I am leaning towards the shinny one at present.

That's all for now, and I shall add pics and information with regard to future pearl purchases. Wish me luck with my project!

DK :D:D:D

Indeed a fun project, as I can choose each pearl for the necklace myself via photos.

Sven, please feel free to add pics of my goodies.

DK :)

Good luck. How exciting. The long, slow burn. The marathon of finding, collecting, adding to... Something to always treasure. Thank you for sharing your adventure. When do we get to see the next pearl? :)

I am putting money aside each month, with the plan to purchase a pearl every 2 months, pending on availability of suitable pearls.

DK :)

How funny is that, I too secretly want a Wilma Flintstone necklace. Twice in the past year in BnM stores, I laughed when I saw Wilma's looking necklaces. The laugh was a nervous laugh as the cost was prohibitive but the truth is that I really, really love them.

I guess we grew up watching the same toons, I wonder what the next generation will secretly long for?

I can't wait to see your masterpiece.

Back