golden pearls

sera72

Hi,

This could be a silly question...what the heck i am new to pearls...so i am allowed to ask silly questions I suppose!

here goes.... I am reading that most golden pearls are South Sea.... but can it be fresh water bead nuclea as well? with 15-16 mm?? or is this impossible??

I guess what I am confused here with is, how do we know if its South Sea or Fresh water bead nuclea in general... is it mainly based on color ?

cheers!

Hi Sera,
Gold is not a natural color (not counting the hues in pondsilmes etc.) of freshwater pearls - so if there are any they may be dyed. I know for sure that there are dyed freshwaters that go by the name "champagne" or "champagne gold", but they are definitely lacking in luster if compared with Golden SSPs.
The first picture is of dyed freshwaters and the second is that of a golden SSP strand....just an attempt to give you an idea of the contrast in luster.

Attachments

• Natural pearl found in the waters off Eastern Long Island.  The pearl is 13.39mm x 18.5mm and the we
    Natural pearl found in the waters off Eastern Long Island. The pearl is 13.39mm x 18.5mm and the we
    9.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Original clam shell pearl was found inside.
    Original clam shell pearl was found inside.
    10.9 KB · Views: 48
Ahh I did ask such questions once upon a time too. Let's see if I have stuff in my archive to show you about the goldens. Ok here's what I know from my own understanding:

Yes, the are some undyed goldens in CFWP (Chinese freshwaters) but they are a muted cream-gold not the intense gold of SSP. Of course there are exceptions but I'm talking the norm here like on these cheap 10mm rounds.

The nucleated CFW flameball and fireballs (tailed baroques 14-19mm) have some gold too but they range from cream-gold to orangey-gold and can be quite metallic in lustre.

Of course, for SSP (South Seas), the gold colour ranges from a champagne colour (the largest in the pic) to the intense deep golden that rivals no other. Look at Amrita's pictures, there really is no other comparison.

And let's not forget the other colours that SS oysters lay down - whites, silver-white and dark (rainbow) grey.

Hope that helps. And stick around PG, you'll learn in no time at all.

Attachments

• Keshi
    Keshi
    20.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 005 (2).jpg
    005 (2).jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
golden pearl

golden pearl

Thank you so much Amrita and Adeline!

Learned so much in just 2 replies already!

I will try to post some pictures of the strand I got. Its a multi colored strand consist of fresh water (pinks, oranges, grey, white etc) and S.E. pearls. The reason for my prev. question was due to the fact it has the golden pearls as well and I wasnt quite sure if it belongs to fresh water as the supplier said all were fresh water. But then I doubted the Yellows due to the large mm size, hence the question.

cheers!

I have some 15mm freshwaters - 14mm bead nuked Edisons and some vry lustrous 14.5 blacks, and 14mm white ss-ish

Back