This isn't deep gold, is it?

syd

Community member
I requested deep gold south sea pearls to be set with custom made hooplets so that I can wear them with some 18kt gold and diamond huggies I have. I received these today, and was quite disappointed that they looked more like a champagne colour to me. The appraisal I got from the vendor describes the colour as "gold". I don't see any reference to deep gold anywhere, except in some email correspondence where they confirmed they were holding deep gold pearls for me. I'd like to post some pictures for your opinions. What is the best light to take pictures? Should I have some white freshwater pearls and some 18kt gold jewellery with them for reference?

Oh. I thought you would have photos. We can't tell without some kind of photo.

Pictures in indirect light are usually best. Put pearls on a non-reflective surface such as a white paper towel and take to north side of house if outside. North light, if inside. Take photos inside and outside with flash and without, whatever you can manage. The more pix the easier- and merrier! Overcast days are great for pearl photos.

Yes, put the 18k and the white FW for color reference. GREAT idea!

Golden pearls come in a continuum of colors from creamy to 22k gold. A photo with 18k should really help to tell the strength of the gold color. I do believe the golder, the pricier, though. Like 18k gold pearls are very high end! Let's see them and talk about it.

Thanks Caitlin,

I was waiting for some advice about how to take the pictures. I took a few photos on white paper, although these are in bathroom lighting without flash since its night time right now. I'll take more tomorrow in natural light as well.

Its interesting that in these photos the pearls look deep gold! I wonder if its the yellow bathroom lighting or just that pearls look darker in photos than they do in person. They are next to my silver-rose freshwater studs, and the huggies which are 18kt gold with diamonds.

Lets see how the photos turn out tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 39
Here is the same photos I posted earlier, but after using the auto adjust feature in the windows photo gallery. The colour still looks deeper than in real life.

Attachments

• IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 38
Here are a couple of photos in natural light, with and without flash.

You mentioned that there is a range of colour available from cream to 22k. What would be considered "deep gold", 14k, 18k, 22k?

Attachments

• IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 37
Photo a la Care Ehret....

Attachments

• IMG_0965.jpg
    IMG_0965.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 43
Worn as a pendant....

Attachments

• IMG_0972.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 38
They don't look very pale, but then they don't look as dark as some I've met either. Which doesn't really help you.
Mind, the important thing is how they look on you. tiny variations in colour have a huge impact on the impact the pearl makes in wear

Yes they do seem to be in the middle of the "gold spectrum". They certainly are beautiful and so versatile with the larger bail. Love the earrings too!

I'd cal tlhem 14k gold. they are beautiful! And obviously have a changeable gold quality. I bet they look like 18k gold pearls by candlelight!!!

Hi Syd

Yes, I usually find photos show pearls darker than they are in real-life - haven't figured that out yet, but am in the process of upgrading my camera !

Love the pearls, and love the earrings - what a fantastic combination........

Thanks for the responses! I was really hoping for a deeper colour, but I don't think I will return them. For one they were custom, so not sure I can, and secondly I live in Canada so its a pain to ship back to the US. :(

Your pearls look very beautiful! Considering they must be lighter from the pics, I think it's in medium to gold color.

Pearl color is sooo hard to capture on camera, and it's changing depends on the lighting/indoor/outdoor. I had to cancel an order recently after notifying the customer that actual color looks different than the picture.

Even after trying to shoot outdoor with direct sun light, they still look different than the real pearls to me (I blame it on my ancient camera)... Based on this pic, I consider the pearl on the right as deep gold.

ss color.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all! I agree the colour looks to be in between the middle and right pearl above. I love the deep gold of the pearl on the right, and that's what I was looking for. This teaches me to never buy pearls without seeing photos from the vendor! However in trying to get them made and shipped in time for the holidays I didn't ask for a photo.

One other thing bothers me. They are meant to be AAA but there is a small blemish on one of them. I wonder if I should contact the vendor and at least voice my concerns?

My understanding is that golden SS pearls tend to have more flaws generally than white SS pearls and Tahitians do. I don't know whether AAA for golden SSP necessarily means "no blemishing whatsoever". It's a good question: Can a AAA golden SSP have any blemishes and still be AAA? (Of course, there is no standardized grading for pearls so that complicates the question.)

as I understand it, only gem SSP have "no blemishing whatsoever"

see this PP link

http://www.pearlparadise.com/white-south-sea-pearl-grading.htm

which would make them rare and expensive

then there's the colour difference for gold SSP, say 14K, 18K, and 22K, with 22K being the most rare and the most expensive

so a gem 22K SSP would most likely be very rare and very expensive........ :-(

Back