Paspaley is mixing in stones for the Christmas collection

I did not notice the onyx was painted but if your say so.
I agree with respect of the work of designers. I don't like it neither.
Now about the patent of the interchangeable clasp, there has never been any as far as I have investigated where is it manufactured as I am documenting a story on clasps, so I have made a lot of researches yet.
Besides, we ( designers) do not sell mechanisms, we sell creations.
I think we have to pull quality upward because ther will always be someone cheaper.
This should not prevent us from using very good quality stones, fine but not precious stones, why not?
Let's be creative anyway :)

..........because the chinese are buying the nice stones at the last hong kong fair the prices for stones like tourmaline and sapphire where retarded already so lets see in 5 years

bad news ...

the moment a company has 400 stones the same size the color and cut its very rare even for cheap stones to not have any treatments on the color because you wanna have matching stones

the patent they use to have it for 30 years and then they lost it thats why you see them everywhere now i still like to place orders at the jorg heinz company because they made one of the best lock systems there is

i do find myself being a copycat sometimes as a designer you always have to watch out for that sometimes you do things without knowing where the idea came from then you see the original and it comes back to you haha

there are stones that look amazing are special and are in price verry nice like the rutile quartz i used in this necklace and the diamond strand is rough so still diamond only nicer in price

img6400u.jpg

it sucks my laptop died this month i have around 50 nice gemstones designs i hope that i have some backups with pearl pictures

Last edited:
That is an awesome creation! I do hope you recover your designs.

- Karin

i think more company s are going to sell cheap stones in there high end jewelry simply because the chinese are buying the nice stones at the last hong kong fair the prices for stones like tourmaline and sapphire where retarded already so lets see in 5 years

DMJ, you are not the first in the industry to tell me the Chinese are buying up the quality rough and gem cut stones. Another lady trader in the US made the same observation and my long-time supplier of tourmaline says he can no longer afford quality rough as the Chinese seem to buying it all up. In 5 years, my supplier claims tourmaline rough has increased three to four fold. From your point of view, are the Chinese speculating on high-end gems? Sorry for my ignorance, but I was just wondering if it is anything like what the mainland Chinese used to do in Melbourne (no longer, new policies are in place) where they land-bank i.e. buy up prime property and commercial buildings and leave it unoccupied for years till prices spike.

they aslo buy as invest

mostly the middle class has money to spend what was once a county with some extreme rich and lots of poor there now is a middle class who spends there money like western standards only there are lots of them so the demant is crazy also

We will see in 5 years what will happen

at the hong kong show I was amazed tourmaline, sapphire etc was more expensive as in Europe while I came there to buy cheaper

Thanks for the sharing, DMJ. When I was in HK two weeks back, I was awed by the spending capacity of the mainland Chinese tourists. For every one Crabtree and Evelyn product I bought, they bought ten-fold. I swear, it's the truth. They just came barging in making split second decisions, declaring at the top of their voices how they would have ten of each of the most expensive products, making sure everyone heard how just the previous day they had dropped thousands on that one shop selling soap and lotion (get that) alone.

Sigh.. I'm Chinese myself (4 generations ago, the roots trace back to Southern China) and I know how crass some of their behaviour can appear, (I inwardly cringe whenever I witness scenes like that), but you are right, there is tremendous pent-up demand in the middle-class in China.

Back