Abrolhos Islands have pearl potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abrolhos Islands have pearl potential

A group of islands off the Western Australian coast is set to become one of Australia's key pearl producing regions.

A three-year trial has found the water at the Abrolhos Islands near Geraldton is suitable for growing the traditional Akoya pearls.

Pearl farmer Pia Boschetti says two more pearling companies have already started farming Akoyas at the islands, destined for lucrative international markets.

"The special thing about the Akoya pearls is, if you can look back in history, most women will have a set of small white pearl studs," she said.

"It's a very traditional piece of jewellery, nearly every woman wants a set of these."
    http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/con...9/s3325754.htm
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

Bully for them! And I hope to see more and more areas find the right pearliculture for them too.......
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Comment

Really good news! And hopefully they will focus on keeping nacre thick and high quality! That would be so great for the Akoya market.
      Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

Here's another related piece: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-2...756?section=wa

The State Government says a successful pearl production trial in the Mid West could open up a new niche market for Western Australia's struggling pearling industry.
        Kevin Canning
        Pearls Of Joy
        www.PearlsOfJoy.com
        Read My Blog
        FaceBook Fan Page
        1-800-451-1411

Comment

Working...
        X