Philippine Pearls

huhnware

My wife purchased these pearls in Manila and was wanting to know the approximate value. Any idea? There are three pix's of the necklace, two of her ring and an earring and ring set.

Thanks

IMG_0143.jpgIMG_0126.jpgIMG_0128.jpgIMG_0137.jpgIMG_0146.jpgIMG_0144.jpg

Last edited:
The necklace appears to be small, baroque akoya, either from China or Japan. The ring set may be mabe but doesn't really look like it. The earrings are hard to tell from the picture. Can you take a clearer shot? From the second photo I am guessing Chinese freshwater.

Not much in the way of value for the first two, the last one I'm not sure yet.

I thought the necklace might be small oval Chinese freshwater slightly metallic. Are there some light rings on a few of the pearls? The blue set appears to have an open back. Is it set in 14k? Also the last ring, is it set in 14k? What are the stones? Were these purchased at Greenhills?

The shape does look like oval Chinese freshwater, but the surface and color looks like akoya. Now looking at the photos from a big screen I still can't make out the pearl in the last shots.

mm, I thought CFW for the necklace, too. The single ring in the bottom pics looks like a button FW to me, but could be mabe. The ring and earrings I don't know...

would be nice to know what the metal/stones are in the pieces.

They don't have tails as long as a lot of baroque akoya, but a few of them do. The main thing is the surface and the nacre that makes me think akoya. You can see areas that aren't as opaque as freshwater and some areas with a slight hammered look, something you usually see in akoya but rarely freshwater. The last thing are the ends of some of the pearls. They appear to have widened holes that would likely show through to a bead - the adjacent pearl is partly enveloped on a lot of them.

The hammered look
hammered look.jpg

Tail and widened holes
tails and widened holes.jpg

mm, I thought CFW for the necklace, too. The single ring in the bottom pics looks like a button FW to me, but could be mabe. The ring and earrings I don't know...

would be nice to know what the metal/stones are in the pieces.

I think you are right about the ring. It's hard to be certain from the photos, and it *could* be a South Sea pearl, but definitely looks more freshwater.

The ring and earring set look like pteria penguin mabes with colored inserts. :)

Back