SSP or FW 12mm earrings?

Emmamae

Community member
Hi,
I found a beautiful pair of white 12mm earrings at my local thrift and I am curious if they are FW of SS. I have been reading past forum posts and I can’t seem to come to a conclusion. Any thoughts and reasons for your answer would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to learn more about identifying pearls.
best,
amelia
i included pics of them next to akoya and FW pearls I have on had.

Attachments

• photo69682.jpg
    photo69682.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 53
  • photo69683.jpg
    photo69683.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 57
  • photo69686.jpg
    photo69686.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 52
  • photo69684.jpg
    photo69684.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 56
  • photo69685.jpg
    photo69685.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 52
Hello Emmamae! A nice pair there...but really hard to tell without handling the pearls directly.
Just with the photos, these seem to be a pair of FWPs...there's something in their appearance (specially the shape) that tells me they are FWPs.

Last edited:
They are so elegant and classic, with such a smooth surface. You can’t go wrong with beautiful button earrings like those. I can’t offer a more experienced opinion on the pearl type than you’ve already gotten, but I’m curious about the posts/mountings. What metal are the pearls mounted on? Often that will give you a clue to the origin and time period of the pearls. I hope you will enjoy them!

Thanks so much for your answers. Good to know that ssp don’t come in that button shape.
They are mounted on sterling which was a thought that they were maybe not ssp. But then I saw a few websites that offer ssp and you can select the metal type, which had me think “would they mount 925?”
Thanks again.
best,
Amelia

South sea pearls can be button shaped. And sometimes with silver findings. I put my studs on whatever I have that fits, Sterling or gold. With studs it doesn't matter, in my opinion.
However just like CortezPearls it's something that makes me think that these ones are freshwaters.

Thanks for replying Charlotte,
What do you mean by “just like Cortez pearls?”
best,
Amelia

She means me Emmamae : that I also believe they look like freshwaters...confusing that my username is CortezPearl...I should probably change it, I'm no longer affiliated with them.

Back