Oh...

KarinK

I have suddenly aquired my first South Sea Pearl. Just hanging out on eBay, checking the sellers discussed here on Pearl-Guide, sending off an unlikely low bid and oh - I suddenly have a 14K gold pearl enhancer with a 18.9*15.8 mm cream coloured SSP from Pearl Society... (can still be viewed at the time of writing at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270638570831&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)

I picked it up at the post office today and I must say that it really is a big pearl. Happy surprise there. It's pretty too. At $66 including shipping I guess there is no "but", I just wish they had drilled the hole at the other end... To me, at least, it was not obvious from the pictures how blemished and lusterless the pearl is around the top compared to the rest of the pearl. The bottom part looks great but though I am fairly tall you see the top of an enhancer a lot more than the bottom!

I am not returning it as I had to pay VAT and duty fees to be able to pick it up. Now I just need to find the tightest choker around to try to keep focus on the bottom, find a colour that will go with the cream, or maybe sell it locally. Still a fun pearl at a good price and a hands-on lesson in what to look for.

- Karin

Not bad for the price! One option, if the blemishes really bother you, would be to add a cap that covers a bit more of the top of the pearl/change out the bail for a more decorative one. The lower half, when you're wearing it, really is pretty visible and the luster will pick up all kinds of lovely hues from your clothing and the surrounding lighting. At least I notice this and I'm fairly short. ;)

Hi KarenK,

It is worth keeping. The gold findings are worth quite a bit regardless of the flaws on the pearl. Normally a pendant or earrings would have a higher grade of pearl than this one but still not a bad buy. Just a pity they didn't choose a better pearl for a pendant. But I doubt anyone will notice the flaw as you will.

Congratulations on your first South Sea Pearl :)

Dawn
eBay seller ID dawncee333

Thank you both :)

I managed to spend some more time with my pearl last night and I realized that I didn't take Breasts into consideration. Resting on my socalled bussom the top turns away from people, just as you said.

I also realized that the a 14K enhancer alone is about $50 so I practically got the pearl for free as was also pointed out. I fell a lot more in love with the pearl last night, especially when hanging from a simple 18'' gold chain. By now I am a lot more happy with it - until such a day when I might be able to afford one of higher quality.

Now, if I could just find the tie pin with the grey pearl that was my dad's that he bought somewhere in the Pacific when he was young... Then I'd have both freshwater, SS and Tahitian pearls. Nice beginning :)

- Karin

Back