Need assistance in appraisal

A

amrdurango

Hi,

My name is Maria Resnick and I am new to this web site. I wanted to ask about how to go about getting a proper appraisal for a pearl ring. I know nothing about pearls (despite being a native of Japan) and so I am curious about a piece that was recently given to me by my aunt in Japan. From the looks of it, I think it is a South Sea white pearl. I think it is about 13 or 14 mm in diameter, but I cannot be sure. It has a few dimples in it but overall is really a beautiful pearl. The setting is platinum and is of an Art Deco style. My aunt, who is 72, got it back in the 1950s or 60s. She was a famous stage actress in Tokyo so I am pretty sure this would be something quite valuable.

If I were to take it to a local jewelry shop, is there a type of certification that I need to look for in the person making the appraisal? I've been told that it costs about $75 to $150 to get an appraisal -- is that reasonable? I live in a small ski town in Colorado (Durango) so I'm not even sure the local jeweler is familiar with pearls at all...

I will try to take a photo of it, but I can't seem to get one of good enough quality.

Clearly, I am clueless. Please help!

Maria

Hi Maria,

A qualified and professional pearl and gem appraiser I feel comfortable recommending is Sharon Wakefield of Boise ID. She is very experienced in pearls, and used by a number of folk here on the forum, including myself. I recommend you call her for cost and how to best transport your item. Her phone is 208 362-3938. If you do a search (drop down menu above) you will find numerous mention of her and more information. She is very helpful to speak with and not intimidating at all.

Your ring sounds lovely! Beautiful large size too! Good luck--

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Thanks so much for the post -- I appreciate it. I will contact Sharon tomorrow and see what happens next. I will let you know how it all turns out.

Maria

Back