Gift advice: 2nd strand of WSS vs GSS vs Tahitians

RoyalMustang

Hi everyone,

I was looking at a strand of Akoyas for my wife but have since switched gears to other pearl types.

She has a really nice strand of 11-13mm WSS, AAA from PP, that she wears often, and I would like to get her a 2nd strand of something really nice that she can either wear alone or wear jointly with her WSS.

Questions: given the various combinations, what would look best together? Anything to avoid?

Some options:
1) another strand of WSS; she could then wear it as a 35" necklace or double strand, or perhaps nested strands. I would probably go slightly larger this time: perhaps 14-15mm. She is mid 40's, 5 foot 10 and a size 4, so she shouldn't have any trouble wearing "bigger" pearls. Her current strand has a bluish tint so finding a more warm strand may be fun.

2) strand of GSS, probably baroque to stay within my budget and really mix things up.

3) strand of tahitians, perhaps uniform or perhaps color varied. AT the $9-12k price point, I can either go with a really nice double strand or a substantial single strand.

Thanks everyone!

I have a strand of large metallic freshwater pearls that have a WSS pearl look. They are longer than my 18" strands of Tahitians, and I love nest them together for a black and white (well colorful and white) look of a double strand. Golden SS pearls in a shorter or longer length that would next with the WSS pearls would also look gorgeous.

I have both a baroque white and gold SSP necklace. The clasps fit together so these days I am wearing them connected like a rope since I can't afford to also get an ombre necklace.

If your wife doesn't have any Tahitians yet, that could be a great choice. Maybe in a length that will allow the two to nest. The only tricky part is that finding the right Tahitian necklace is apparently not that easy so you will want to be sure of the return situation. I am the lucky owner of a Kamoka strand and didn't have that problem :)

I have both a baroque white and gold SSP necklace. The clasps fit together so these days I am wearing them connected like a rope since I can't afford to also get an ombre necklace.

If your wife doesn't have any Tahitians yet, that could be a great choice. Maybe in a length that will allow the two to nest. The only tricky part is that finding the right Tahitian necklace is apparently not that easy so you will want to be sure of the return situation. I am the lucky owner of a Kamoka strand and didn't have that problem :)

Why isn't finding the right tahitian necklace that easy? Are they in short supply? A couple I saw from PP look very nice!

There are lots of Tahitian necklaces out there! With so many options, the "tricky" part is finding the one that you like best.

Oh, golden south sea pearls! That's my favorite (of the moment). It's all personal preference, though. Do you know if she likes warm colors? Does she wear more gold or silver? If she wears more silver she might prefer the Tahitian necklace.

How lucky she is that her husband is so thoughtful and generous when choosing gifts!

Your wife is really lucky to have such a thoughtful husband. Personally I would go for a tahitian strand. Most tahitians looks great with a white south sea strand and worn alone. I wear my tahitians more than any other pearls, there are just so many colors. For a first strand of tahitians I would go for a multicolored one, it can easily be dressed up or down. There are lots of tahitians out there. I am sure Pearl Paradise would love to help you find just the right one, since you bought from them before.
As for a golden south sea strand, lovely yes, but not every shade of golden looks good one every skintone. Best to try on first jut difficult with a gift. A mixed white and golden south sea strand looks great on almost everyone.
Good luck.

Your wife is really lucky to have such a thoughtful husband. Personally I would go for a tahitian strand. Most tahitians looks great with a white south sea strand and worn alone. I wear my tahitians more than any other pearls, there are just so many colors. For a first strand of tahitians I would go for a multicolored one, it can easily be dressed up or down. There are lots of tahitians out there. I am sure Pearl Paradise would love to help you find just the right one, since you bought from them before.
As for a golden south sea strand, lovely yes, but not every shade of golden looks good one every skintone. Best to try on first jut difficult with a gift. A mixed white and golden south sea strand looks great on almost everyone.
Good luck.

thanks everyone.

I couldn't decide, so I just ordered her one of each from PP. She can try each out and then decide.

1) Tahitian strand 10-12mm, AAA, gem colors (everything from blue to green to pinkish)
2) GSS strand, teardrop shape (a bit like baroque), 14-17mm
3) WSS strand, 12-15mm, AA+, should match her current WSS.

We also went to a super high end jewelry store yesterday and didn't see anything we liked better, outside of one vintage gold and diamond rondel tahitian strand that was $80,000. That one was incredible but way outside of our price range. It was definitely a statement piece! The markup in a high-end retail store is quite high though; they must have had $20M of jewels and watches in there.

Tahitians can be worn with anything-- they can go from casual to dressy. Multicolored are incredibly addictive. Don't necessarily have to wear them with the WSS, but depending on how dark or pastel, they could. GSS have to be the right tone for someone's skin, IMO. It was smart to try all three, so she can decide. You can always have PP put on gold and diamond rondels after you choose. Just makes it very dressy. You can get very high end strands from PP without the markup from a brick and mortar store.

Let us know what you think of the necklaces and which your wife picks.

Back