Identifying dyed pearls

Mischka

Hello everyone! I am new here - And have recently discovered I’m a pearl girl!

I bought a GSSP choker which I love but would like to know if there’s a way to find out if it’s dyed or not? I would love to read and learn from the community regarding this ;)

Thank you!

Hello Mischka, welcome to our pearl loving forum :)
Most GSSP are not dyed, but there are some thermal processes that can enhance color in these pearls.
Why not post a photo for us to see.
Have a great weekend!

Hello Mischka, welcome to our pearl loving forum :)
Most GSSP are not dyed, but there are some thermal processes that can enhance color in these pearls.
Why not post a photo for us to see.
Have a great weekend!

Thank you so much! I have attached a picture taken at around 6:00 in the evening. Hope it helps! 21CF5FFE-5BEC-4A2E-BD04-2087D6081E79.jpg21CF5FFE-5BEC-4A2E-BD04-2087D6081E79.jpg

Lovely golden color...great luster...they are very nice!
From experts I've heard that it is very difficult to tell when golden pearls are treated to enhance their "goldiness" (is there a better expression???).
Last year we had a discussion about dyed vs naturally colored pearls (The name of the thread actually shows down below in the "Similar Threads" section, under the name "Edison pearl vs the world) where our own Pattye stated this:
Screenshot 2021-02-23 095247.jpg
And I totally agree with her.

So, your best bet is to take your pearls to a lab for analysis OR have the seller provide you with a guarantee that the color is natural, which is something you would hardly need if purchasing from a reputable seller.

Wish I could be more helpful...

Copying and pasting Pattye's post for people with older eyes, like me...

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/s...-dyed-metallic&p=230684&viewfull=1#post230684

"Cees, yes, I think you are correct about all these being dyed/color treated pearls, at least most of them.

"I seem to recall that the conclusion about dyed vs natural color golden pearls is that only laboratory testing can confirm. Yes, some are clearly dyed, but certainly more easily identified in person compared to a photograph. Why it is so important to purchase from a trusted, knowledgable supplier.

"The way color is dispersed on dyed pearls (more mottled with more colors) is usually quite different and often more intense than how natural color appears. The last photo is most likely all dyed pearls.

"We can only learn so much from photos. The differences are subtle. There are no hard and fast rules, because every pearl is different.

"There is nothing wrong with dyed pearls, only when it is not disclosed. A price being higher or lower can sometimes reflect whether the pearl is dyed or not. Cees, PP and Pearlescence are absolutely trusted sources when it comes to disclosures.

"I wish you the best in educating your friend; perhaps she will consider taking the CPAA course, as there are discount codes making it available free. Right now the gem fairs and shows have been canceled, so it's difficult to find ways to see a variety of pearls in person."

Lovely golden color...great luster...they are very nice!
From experts I've heard that it is very difficult to tell when golden pearls are treated to enhance their "goldiness" (is there a better expression???).
Last year we had a discussion about dyed vs naturally colored pearls (The name of the thread actually shows down below in the "Similar Threads" section, under the name "Edison pearl vs the world) where our own Pattye stated this:
View attachment 77823
And I totally agree with her.

So, your best bet is to take your pearls to a lab for analysis OR have the seller provide you with a guarantee that the color is natural, which is something you would hardly need if purchasing from a reputable seller.

Wish I could be more helpful...

Thank you! :D

Here's a slightly better one, I think.. just a tad of orange left

164a98fe-4303-4a8d-8a14-688d4bf98a34.JPG

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 11.56.05 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 11.56.05 AM.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 87
It is a gorgeous strand, love that last photo. It being dyed or not, a clue could be in how much it did cost. It could be a real golden south sea strand, undyed, but would likely be rather expensive. And you do love to wear it so that at least is good. I don't mean that it doesn't matter if it's dyed or not, I would be curious as well. Have you looked into the drillholes and on the marks of the pearls with a loupe, if you don't have any they are very useful. I bought mine on ebay for 10$ more than a decade ago and still haven't changed the battery (maybe I should do that). Maybe it doesn't work on that goldiness procedure that CortezPearls talked about, but very useful regardless.

It is a gorgeous strand, love that last photo. It being dyed or not, a clue could be in how much it did cost. It could be a real golden south sea strand, undyed, but would likely be rather expensive. And you do love to wear it so that at least is good. I don't mean that it doesn't matter if it's dyed or not, I would be curious as well. Have you looked into the drillholes and on the marks of the pearls with a loupe, if you don't have any they are very useful. I bought mine on ebay for 10$ more than a decade ago and still haven't changed the battery (maybe I should do that). Maybe it doesn't work on that goldiness procedure that CortezPearls talked about, but very useful regardless.

yes, I do love it! It cost a significant amount but I think it's more out of my curiosity and wanting to learn more about pearls. ;)

If they asked big money then I'd consider asking GIA for a certificate. I don't think they cost that much , when I get Hanadama certified it's like 50$ at the Japanese lab. Either way for your peace of mind and resale ( should you ever decide to sell them) it's reassuring .

Do they just test 1 pc from the strand or the entire strand?

Here's a slightly better one, I think.. just a tad of orange left

View attachment 77831

In the first picture here, it looks like the color is enhanced to me. As far as I can remember, I've seen such color a lot offered by gssp vendors in the Philippines.
But have the strand tested by a lab just to be sure.
Edit: I had a chat with Cees, he said your vendor should disclose the treatment to you.

Last edited:
Do they just test 1 pc from the strand or the entire strand?

For bead cultured pearl necklace like this, GIA will not do random test, they will test the entire strand. It will cost you $200 if the strand is below 20 inches.

Thanks everyone! I did have a little chat with the vendor and he insists that these are natural and sent dyed ones for comparison. It’s quite easy to spot the difference when side by side but if not, my untrained eyes would not know any better! He also offered to refund the necklace but I declined :)

Thanks everyone! I did have a little chat with the vendor and he insists that these are natural and sent dyed ones for comparison. It’s quite easy to spot the difference when side by side but if not, my untrained eyes would not know any better! He also offered to refund the necklace but I declined :)

If your vendor insists that they are natural color then you got a fantastic quality gssp strand. That deep color, often described as 24k gold, is special. Congratulations on your winner gssp strand. Wear it in good health! :D

Sure is...22-24K deep golden color is the rarest amongst golden pearls...I once recall listening to Jacques Christophe Brannellec Jr stating that just around 30% of the pearls in a yearly harvest will display this deep golden color :)

These are so pretty. What size are they? Would love to see a neck shot.

Back