Back from the stringer

massrog

We sent my wife's new strand out to replace the puny clasp with the one from my mother's imitations. I think they look great with the clasp (almost anything would have been better). The knots seem to be far tighter/smaller than what they had before. Which is more "correct"? Please excuse the photography, I haven't figured out how to adjust the camera to get good shots at a distance and close ones are hard to focus with present setup.

Attachments

• IMG_2687.jpg
    IMG_2687.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2684.jpg
    IMG_2684.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2635.jpg
    IMG_2635.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 46
  • closeup restrung ssp.jpg
    closeup restrung ssp.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 41
How perfect the new clasp is on the necklace! There are many stringing materials, silk, nylon, polyester and many sizes of threads for the stringer to choose from. Of course, the size of the drill holes influences the stringer's choice, too. Did the larger clasp add a little length to make up for the smaller knots? The knots should not pull into the pearls.

How perfect the new clasp is on the necklace! There are many stringing materials, silk, nylon, polyester and many sizes of threads for the stringer to choose from. Of course, the size of the drill holes influences the stringer's choice, too. Did the larger clasp add a little length to make up for the smaller knots? The knots should not pull into the pearls.

The measurement is exactly the same as before, 24.5". Is it possible for the stringer to adjust their "style" the maintain the measurement or is it coincidence? The knots are proud of the drill holes so I guess the job is a good one. I don't know who they were but I think that the local name brand jeweler would use someone very proficient and a week early no less!

Wonderful results! Love it!

Thanks very much! These pics are in a light box as opposed to the old ones under overhead flourescent's with I don't know what type of bulbs. What would you say is closer to actual color from your experience?

Last edited:
The measurement is exactly the same as before, 24.5". Is it possible for the stringer to adjust their "style" the maintain the measurement or is it coincidence? The knots are proud of the drill holes so I guess the job is a good one. I don't know who they were but I think that the local name brand jeweler would use someone very proficient and a week early no less!

Well, it seems you absolutely had a proficient stringer, who uses good materials. Some necklaces are so stretched out they are considerably shorter when restrung, but that wasn't the case here. Flourescent bulbs can make the pearls appear more yellow than they actually are.

Thank you very much! There was one unforeseen hiccup, the Pearls are quite a bit larger that what the clasp was on so now when worn at the side the clasp rocks as she moves. I am considering having some gold added to the back of the clasp in the form of a small band cut in half and soldered to the clasp top and bottom. I'm going to consult with my jeweler later today about heat generated near both the Pearl and the Opals.

Fantastic, love that clasp, so nice to see these beautiful pearls and clasp together.
Look forward to the neck shot!

That’s gorgeous. The person who restrung them did a beautiful job. You’re a kind husband. I know your wife will love this special piece.

Massrog, the jeweler could glue the metal to the clasp, and then heat would not be an issue. Just a thought. Jewelers glue things all the time.

I have a lot of clasps that roll over when strung with pearls because the back of the clasp doesn't have enough mass. For those clasps, I wear the clasp behind my neck, but I have short hair, so the clasp shows. Then I keep looking for a better clasp. But your redo is very nice and the knots look good.

That’s gorgeous. The person who restrung them did a beautiful job. You’re a kind husband. I know your wife will love this special piece.
Thank you for the nice comments! I do have a confession... her birthday, Hannukah, Valentine's and our anniversary fall generally within 8-11 weeks so my kindness might also be interpreted as laziness as I always buy (depending on year) at least one piece of nice jewelry to cover it all. She hasn't called me on it yet!

I had another thought on a "fix" for the clasp rolling. It was originally a double strand piece and I changed it to the one which caused the problem. I was thinking to add a couple of strands of colored Akoya's to it since it can be a triple, but wasn't sure if that might be a bit much. You all have way more experience with pearls and what is acceptable in this world. I have always stayed with colored stones which is far less nuanced so easier. Please tell me if I am "gilding the Lily" and if not which is the most neutral color to use. I am thinking black or light blue in the 7-8mm range?

I also have a strand of vintage akoyas that have a large clasp that was originally a double clasp and the jeweler removed that so the clasp is now for a single strand. Occasionally I wear the clasp in front and it rolls. I find if I flip the necklace and connect it the opposite way, the clasp hangs differently and doesn't roll. Don't know if that would help you.

Have you tried hanging the clasp in front like a pendant? The gravity works better to keep it from moving compared to putting it on the side. If it sill rolls, flip it and clasp opposite as mentioned by me previously. My personal opinion is that the strand and clasp look beautiful as is. Sometimes less is more and starting to add things may become a problem. If you present the issue to your jeweler, I'm sure they would have a solution. They may have seen the same problem before and know how to fix it.

Back