SSP offered by Costco

I just ordered some Attack—thanks so much, PD! And thanks for the tips on storing it. We have Teflon tape in the household, and I’ll look for Parafilm as well. I could also use these products to thoroughly seal some acetone that typically escapes. :)

PDs, I've tried covering attack with similar plastic based products and they all are dissolved (or made gooey). The only thing that works is double sealing in a metal container. I'm sure glass or ceramic would work also. I've also wrapped the can in foil. None of it really works all that well against evaporation.
JP, what do you mean by double-sealing in a metal container? What do you use?

I'm interested as well!
Something like a metal canister with a lid. I have an old tin (I think) canister that I use. I found it in an antique store for $1. They were used to store flour or sugar. You could also use a coffee can and make an aluminum foil lid. I also wrap the Attack can in foil as well, before putting it into the canister. Just make sure to open it outdoors.

Thank you, Jersey Pearl. Interesting that double “wrapping” using metal slows evaporation.

I always puts the pearl and finding in a glasjar with some aceton. It always works for me. Haven't ever gotten to the hot water stage. This is industrial aceton, not for nailpolish removal.

I always puts the pearl and finding in a glasjar with some aceton. It always works for me. Haven't ever gotten to the hot water stage. This is industrial aceton, not for nailpolish removal.
Typically, how long do you leave the pearl in the acetone, Charlotta? It just seems so wrong to pearls in acetone, LOL! But I will get over it...

Cricketbug, I didn't like it first, but apparantly it doesn't hurt the pearls. Sometimes I just leave in there for half an hour, then trying to pull very lightly in the findings with a plier. If it isn't loose, then I put it back in the aceton again. Usually they get loose quiet quickly. Only time I had a problem was with a pair of earrings that I had glued on myself... I even gotten out a piece of broken silver from inside a pearl, the pearl fell off a ring and left half a pin inside. But after half an hour in aceton it fell out. I think attack is a kind of aceton as well.

So, an old milk can would work.
It might, as long as there is no rubber or plastic seal. Anything that's a poly resin or plastic will melt.

And I should also note: if you are planning to use attack at home, be very careful using it on surfaces. I work on a metal tray. You wouldn't want to use this on a countertop or finished/painted wood surface. And best to use it outdoors, or in a garage with door open. Ideally, you'll wear respiratory protection as well. Oh, and be sure to avoid contact with your skin. I use chop sticks or metal tweezers to remove the item from the solvent.

Thanks for the additional info, JP.

Aren't pearls marvellous to be able to withstand the chemicals intact?! :cool:

Back