Budget for a WSS necklace

The package may have been randomly selected to be inspected. And since it doesn't contain contraband, it should just be sent on to you, resealed. Sorry you have to wait for it!

Thanks lilliefuzzysocks and Pearl Dreams. I am a little worried that the package has had absolutely no updates since 2am on Wednesday -- no notes from customs, no scans, etc. But at the same time, looks like there is nothing else to do but wait. I've already pinged the FedEx International department enough times that four people were sending messages to customs and trying to get updates. I don't want to go from "squeaky wheel gets the grease" to "annoying squeaky wheel gets ignored" territory, lol. I am sure I will not get the package before the long weekend. Hopefully next week, in time for my birthday on the 8th :)

I'm guessing they just don't take the time reply to inquiries. They must get scads of inquiries-- think about how many packages get delayed there.

I'm guessing they just don't take the time reply to inquiries. They must get scads of inquiries-- think about how many packages get delayed there.

You are probably right. I just wish a FedEx agent would say the same to me! Just something like "Unfortunately, this is totally normal and happens periodically. When something like this happens, the wait can be between X and XXX number of days. We see this regularly, don't worry." Because in my mind, the package has fallen off some conveyor belt and my precious pearls are gathering dust and it's all very tragic, lol. Just knowing that it's normal would be reassuring. But I guess FedEx employees aren't instructed to say this.

I get it, but taking time to reply to probably hundreds of inquiries every day would delay the packages even more. It's probably more efficient to just carry on screening packages.

I've had overseas shipments delayed at customs anywhere from a week to several weeks, but it was always just a waiting game (as they say: patience is a virtue, albeit not an easily gotten one).

Pearl Dreams you are absolutely right.

MSC Thanks for mentioning this! It greatly helps to set my expectations. Maybe I'll reach a zen point where I'll only refresh the tracking page once a day, instead of once every five minutes :p Seriously, just setting up proper expectations helps a lot with having patience. One FedEx rep who told me "from experience" that my package will likely "clear tonight and be delivered tomorrow" did not help. :rolleyes:

This happened to me with a package from Ireland once, I was getting really worried about it just sort of falling off the grid at customs when suddenly it was on the move again!

This happened to me with a package from Ireland once, I was getting really worried about it just sort of falling off the grid at customs when suddenly it was on the move again!

Thanks for mentioning! You guys have lifted my spirits. Now I'll just wait :)

Normally package show up sooner or later. I order a lot online, avoiding fedex though, and maybe one package got lost over many years. Ones I had to wait for the swedish custom for 3 months. Its not fun waiting though. Hopefully you have them next week

Pearl Dreams you are absolutely right.

MSC Thanks for mentioning this! It greatly helps to set my expectations. Maybe I'll reach a zen point where I'll only refresh the tracking page once a day, instead of once every five minutes :p Seriously, just setting up proper expectations helps a lot with having patience. One FedEx rep who told me "from experience" that my package will likely "clear tonight and be delivered tomorrow" did not help. :rolleyes:

Yes! Exactly this. I hit the impatient mark when it's been 6 weeks and still sitting in customs. I've only have a couple of packages sit in customs for longer than 8 weeks and both were from India. Oh man, that rep should have never peeped a word! In my profession, that's called "giving opinion," which is never looked on as a good thing.

I absolutely feel your pain, and concur with MSC's "opinion"...it's happened to me as well. On a more positive note, as long as they can tell you exactly where the package is (in customs, on a truck, in Memphis, etc) you're fine...it will be delivered.

Customs regularly snag up my packages too (I’m in Canada). They always eventually clear and find their way here, but the wait can be frustrating and unpredictable (some don’t get stopped, some do, some clear in a day, some get held up many days, but all have arrived safe and sound). Hope yours clear soon!

There are here, they are HERE!!! It only took three phone calls to FedEx this morning, two trips to the local FedEx office with about a 40 wait while a very helpful employee searched through a ton of packages (and did not guilt trip me at all. I so appreciate it)... and voila! They are here.

The pearls are more beautiful than I expected. They are whiter and shinier (that's my super pro lingo, lol). I think they have slightly whiter color and higher luster than my earrings. The size is just perfect, I don't think I could pull off larger for now.

Pardon my quick cell phone pics and the fact that I simply threw the pearls on beading wire in 2 minutes before heading off to my dad's birthday. I was determined to wear them! Will string them properly in the next couple days, and I will update with better photos and comparisons to my earrings, to freshwaters and vintage strands (I'm guessing vintage akoyas), and my mom's WSS earrings and pendant. I also need to decide on length, I think I want slightly shorter, closer to choker length, maybe 15.5" or so.

Thank you so much everyone for commenting and for your support during the customs turmoil! Special thanks to Masik for advising me to reach out to Cees :) And Cees! Thank you! You rock!

Attachments

• IMG_6350.jpg
    IMG_6350.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6352.jpg
    IMG_6352.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6355.jpg
    IMG_6355.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6358.jpg
    IMG_6358.jpg