GSS Strand

Sea Urchin

Welp, by the time I realized I really needed a GSS strand, the dark ovals were gone from last month's PP big golden sale.

I ordered this one (Tahitian Pearls Biz) and am waiting for it to arrive. I don't know how the terms used there match up with the ones I'm used to on PP but I hope it's oval and 24k.

It's marked #GNAF there if anyone has any thoughts for me. Can't wait to meet it in person! :) (Although, assuming I keep it, it will then be ((cruelly)) snatched away until Santa re-delivers it at Christmas). :(

deep_golden_south_sea_pearl_necklace_gnaf_lg4.jpg

Last edited:
That looks really nice -- clean surface and deep gold color! You must post photos when it arrives!!

As to GNAF I'm guessing the GN probably means "golden" and the AF is probably some other stock designation.

Oh, congratulations! I just love ovals - especially in GSS and Tahitians. Can't wait to see what they look like on.

Thanks, ladies so far. They're stringing it for me on Stringth, which I think is like PowerPro, at my request. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much before seeing it in person. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I agree with all the above! Can't wait to see it!

Now I'm curious about Stringth. I see Rio carries it in an assortment of colors and 3 weights. The middle weight has a 23# test strength, and it's supposed to be slippery.
Tempted to test it....I need to order from Rio soon anyway.

Last edited:
Sea Urchin, those look really yummy!

I started out knotting using Stringth. I used a single strand, with one end striped with super glue, as a built-in needle. Once Pattye came out with Beader's Secret, I dropped Stringth and started using a two-strand method. I found Stringth to be not quite as drapey as BS, and also I like using different colors available in BS. As far as I am aware, colors are not offered in Stringth.

Elizabeth

I have also used Stringth and although it slips nicely, it is much stiffer than Pattye's Serafil The finished product, as Narcissa said, is not as supple as with silk or Beader's Secret which is actually Serafil.

Last edited:
Interesting, Marianne, thanks for posting. What thickness of Stringth did you use, if you recall? With Power Pro there is a difference in the suppleness of the 10#, 20# and 30# test (and higher). Not so with Serafil or Beaders Secret.

Last edited:
Rio Grande does indeed sell Stringth in many colors, Narcissa. Perhaps not as many or the same as Beaders Secret, however. I don't see the grays that many of us use. See my link.
But I'm interested in your comments about drape-- and Sea Urchin's impressions, when the strand arrives.

Rio Stringth Link:
https://www.riogrande.com/search?q=stringth+cord&c=&t=1&pageSize=32

Why so it does!
Suddenly I feel quite old. Really, can I have been knotting pearls since before there was colored Stringth? Before dinosaurs? Before fire? I used to have to color my own.

Elizabeth

I just placed an order with Rio for the Stringth warm and cool color assortments in the #3 size.
If it proves not to be so good for pearls, maybe it will be good for other beads. I have to satisfy my curiosity. :rolleyes:

And they're here. So, what do you think? I'm hoping y'all will help me evaluate them objectively as if you were considering buying them yourself because I don't have much to compare them to. The last two pics are with other pearls for reference. Also what would you consider them, on the "comparisons with gold karats" scale? (The photos were taken in filtered sunlight).

Goldens1.jpg

Goldens2.jpg

Goldens3.JPG

Goldens4.jpg

Goldens5.jpg

Last edited:
They look deep golden to me. I can't say 22K or 24K as mine were not described in those terms-- just deep golden.

They look quite clean and the shapes I'd say are oval to drop shaped. They seem to have gold overtones as opposed to green or rose (not as rosy as the studs or the large loose pearl.)

Were the photos taken in daylight or under artificial light? If artificial light, try photographing again in daylight tomorrow. Give yourself time to see them in all kinds of light. Some light brings out the luster more, some the color more.

Are they comfortable? Do you like the size and length? I'm also curious about the drape of the thread that was used.

They are beautiful on you, Sea Urchin! (sorry I am not very good at assessing karat color) Really lovely pearls!

Back