Evaluate this South Sea Pearl Strand

Cousingigi

Hi experts!

I recently picked up a strand of 12-15mm white South Sea pearls and I’m trying to decide if I should keep them or send them back. I like the size and the roundness very much, but I’m not terribly sure about the color and the surface quality. I was hoping for something with more of a pure white cast to it, and these seem a bit ivory. Some of the pearls, especially the lighter one just next to the center pearl, don’t match terribly well in terms of luster or nacre quality. It’s worth adding that these were only $4400, so I know I can’t expect perfection. Just wondering what everyone thinks. I have held the pearls up to a light source and several of them, including the light one I mentioned, seem translucent all the way through instead of being darker in the center. Could there be some large fresh waters mixed in? 463FD257-C976-4950-B62D-B4C4F0FD7899.jpg6F4387B5-A489-4436-ADCA-FE0C6DCEBD3B.jpg2AE1A7DD-249F-4550-BE57-1213333840DF.jpg669DFD82-E00D-48EC-A7FA-02E5353EEA33.jpg669DFD82-E00D-48EC-A7FA-02E5353EEA33.jpgC4D2FF60-047D-40CB-A6E2-E7BE80ECCD69.jpg4D0E1B2A-2D6C-44B7-B9EC-40E53432A05C.jpg

In my world, "only" and "$4400" tend not to occur in the same sentence. :p Granted, it's low for a round WSS strand, but that is a lot to pay for something you don't love.

I'd send them back and use the $4400 toward something you do love.

Oh, and any FWP in that size and round would be bead-nucleated. I think they are all SSP.

Thanks, pearldreams! I say “only” not that it is a small quantity of money, but more that it is less than what my maximum budget would be. Most of the strands I have been considering have been in the $6,000-$8,000 range, because it seems that is the entry point on getting anything approaching round at this size. They do look very spectacular on, but I’m just not sure.

Here's a "right side up" view; the pearls look SO much nicer on you :)

WSSRSUP.jpg

I get it, but that is still a lot to spend and still not be wowed.

Must the SSP be round? You can get a lot of pearl for less money if you are okay with baroques / circled pearls.

I have to agree, your pearls are truly beautiful and beautiful on you. But if you're having second thoughts, I would return them and get the ones you really fall in love with. Welcome to P-G!

Thank you for turning it right side up! I have no idea why it posted upside down

I do want a strand of baroques, but I think I’d look best in small baroques... am considering some 9.5mm baroque Akoyas. I have a very low contrast fair complexion, so I’m thinking with the large size I should stick with the simple round profile so that I can pull it off.

My workhorse strand is surprisingly a 35" 9.0-9.5mm baroque akoya strand. the strand is not too pricey, but it sure packs a lot of luster. and well, it goes well with anything from my wardrobe from plains to prints, loud colors to plain black, regardless of neckline. i mean, it's white, it's long, how else can this go wrong?

You should be able to get a cool strand of baroque akoyas and white ssp studs with the $4.4k. and maybe a bit more, like a pendant, or another pair of golden ssps earrings. agree with the rest here, that's a lot of money for something that doesn't wow you.

good luck!

Please don't keep any pearl or pearl strand that you do not love. It is a beautiful strand but if you are having second thought it is not the strand for you.

Here's another thought: if it's only a few pearls that are bothering you, it might be worth counting those up, and asking the vendor if they might replace those with nicer/better match pearls. There would be an upcharge of course, but I've seen people replace 3 pearls for a reasonable charge, and end up with a dream strand. If it's more than a few, then not worth it, and you should hold out for what your heart asks for :)

Thanks so much to everyone who has offered advice so far. I’m wondering if I should just hold off on the purchase until something really spectacular crosses my path. I know once I have my strand, I’ll keep them forever, so no sense in buying something where I have the potential of wanting to upgrade later. Does anyone know of any threads where I can look at some photos of other members’ large white south sea pearls so I can get a better idea of what my heart desires? I’ve searched the forum and haven’t seen much in the vein of what I’m buying, lots of beautiful Goldens though!

Thanks so much to everyone who has offered advice so far. I’m wondering if I should just hold off on the purchase until something really spectacular crosses my path. I know once I have my strand, I’ll keep them forever, so no sense in buying something where I have the potential of wanting to upgrade later. Does anyone know of any threads where I can look at some photos of other members’ large white south sea pearls so I can get a better idea of what my heart desires? I’ve searched the forum and haven’t seen much in the vein of what I’m buying, lots of beautiful Goldens though!

Yes, so much yes. This kind of purchase shouldn't be made in a hurry and your heart should sing at it. I don't think you risk much by looking around more.

Oh thank you! Yes! Those are more what I had in mind. Is Eiko a wholesaler? And what is ruckus? Is it a pearl convention?

The Pearl-Guide Ruckus is a weekend-long get-together of those P-G members who wish to attend, held yearly in L.A., hosted by Jeremy and Hisano Shepherd of Pearl Paradise. It's coming up at the end of July this year.

Jeremy rents a mansion and guests can stay there if they wish. Food is provided, and there are lectures and pearl-buying opportunities from several other vendors who attend, and a visit to Pearl Paradise on Sunday. Some folks attend yearly and see old friends. I have not attended personally, but I do enjoy seeing all the photos and videos posted during and after the Ruckus.

I did an Advanced Search using "Ruckus" as keyword, searching titles only, and came up with these threads you may enjoy browsing:
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/search.php?searchid=313950

Baby Nurse and Icyjade have pearls from Eiko and maybe they can tell you more about that company.

Back