Is my golden south sea pearl dye?

Twj

Hi, it's my first time here. I bought a 13mm GSS pearl from Tucson gem show a couple months ago. It's more like the color of champagne rather than gold. The seller said it's natural color, but I see the champagne color on the top of the pearl seems to be lighter than the bottom. I don't know if that is usual for golden southsea pearl or not. So I was wondering if this is natual color or dye? Belows are some pictures of the pearl. Thank you so much.
IMG_0652.jpg
IMG_0651.jpg
IMG_0197.jpg

Hi Twj, and welcome to Pearl Guide.

Actually what you have said argues in favor of the pearl's not having been dyed.

If it had been dyed, the gold color would be deeper gold. The reason light golden pearls are dyed in the first place is so that they will look like the more valuable deep golden pearls. Also if dyed, the color would be more even.

I would say that your pearl's color is natural.

Hi Twj, and welcome to Pearl Guide.

Actually what you have said argues in favor of the pearl's not having been dyed.

If it had been dyed, the gold color would be deeper gold. The reason light golden pearls are dyed in the first place is so that they will look like the more valuable deep golden pearls. Also if dyed, the color would be more even.

I would say that your pearl's color is natural.

Thank you for telling me that. I just worried that whether it was a white fresh water pearl being dyed as GSS. But now I get what you said, if it is dyed, the color would be more even. Thanks a lot.

Oysters naturally produce all sorts of variations of shading, shape, surface qualities.
It's the perfect looking pearl you have to be a bit wary of.

Hi, everybody, Thank you so much for telling me those info, which make me relieved. I picked it out as a loose pearl on the gem show and took it to a jeweler to make it into a pendent. The pearl doesn't cost a lot, so I think its' a good deal. I just start to develop my interest in pearls, so I don't know much about them. I'm glad that I have found this forum. : )

You must love it! I would wear that a lot if it were mine. :)

Back