How is the luster of these SSP?

Lili4ka

Hello everyone,

In search for a very large WSSP, I came across this pair. They look second hand, and I am looking for a good deal.

The measurement are 15mm, there are defects, bites and blemishes that will be a subject of separate evaluation and thoughts.

I asked for a few more photos on white surface in order to evaluate the luster. From what I know, luster is clear reflection of the light by the pearl's surface. The clearer the object, the better the luster, please correct if wrong.

Thank you all!

Attachments

• la.jpg
    la.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 34
  • lau.jpg
    lau.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 34
  • laur.jpg
    laur.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 35
  • laura.jpg
    laura.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 36
Luster shows up best when there is a single light source. Do you know what the lighting was in these photos?

They do look pretty. I would not worry about flaws near the finding; you won't see them.

The picture of the earrings was taken with the iphone.

Is there a better way to make a photo in order to evaluate the luster? may be under natural daylight, or something else?

'Single light source', what does it mean, could you clarify please?

Thanks!

Here I try to make a comparison of the luster. The pearl in question is on the left.

Attachments

• luster compare.JPG
    luster compare.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 38
An example of a single light source is a light bulb -- as opposed to multiple lights (like the 4 lights under our ceiling fans) or a fluorescent light which spreads light more diffusely.

Don't forget that SSP generally have less-sharp luster than, say, akoyas.

another proposal to me.. I asked for pics on white hapkin, here is what I got. Not Mikimoto, this is just background. Loose pearls to make studs.

Attachments

• a.u.pearls finger.jpg
    a.u.pearls finger.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 31
  • a.u.pearlss15.jpg
    a.u.pearlss15.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 39
the ones on finger

Attachments

• a.u.pearls finger.jpg
    a.u.pearls finger.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 33
I do, too! Is there a chance that they might be akoyas (size over 15mm)? Or the luster artificially enhanced in any way?

Also, I think that those on the Miki box would be the closest in appearance the one on the right modeling photo in the post #4.

The largest akoya pearls are about 10mm, and there are not a lot of those compared to the smaller sizes. Akoya oysters are small.

IMG_0655.JPG
Quick photo of the finest luster on 15mm So Sea I have seen in some time.
I used North light and Ottlite and surrounded with white paper. I used a CannonSX600HS
and I remembered to set the timer for the shutter. Surrounding environment made it
a bit greener than eyesight. PEARL PHOTOS ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MATCHING.

p-m
Norm

Thank you Norm! On your photo, I can more or less clearly see the tripod. Almost like a mirror!
Better luster than on the photo in #7?

Norm - beautiful lustre on those WSS ! Gorgeous pearls !

Zowie - it's hard to tell from your photo... the lustre is ok . The flaws are at the back so thats not a big deal if it doesn't bother you. I don't know if its the photo but it looks like the nacre in the 3rd photo , one the right pearl, has a 'dead spot' where it's not as shiny. They aren't round but that would be reflected in the price. And it's the price that needs to be considered. I'd look around on line and see how these compare.

Overall - I prefer the 'Mikimoto" photo pearls .

Thanks Katbran! Do you think that the 'Mikimoto' pearls luster is the same as on the right modeling photo in the post #4?

Last edited:
Hi Katbran,

Looks like the ones that you like might be Edison FW, with that kind of luster. Not SS, most likely.

Thanks Katbran! Do you think that the 'Mikimoto' pearls luster is the same as on the right modeling photo in the post #4?

The Model photo on the right..the pearl is very pixilated so it's hard to know. I'm assuming all this is just about lustre and not type of pearl?
I much prefer Norm's pearl lustre and surface skin but .. the Miki pearls have the best lustre of the one's you've shown. These are Edisons 15+ with sharpish lustre. Quite different to Norms beautiful WSS. I've put this photo into black and white to better show the surface without the distraction of my gold iPad or black sweater ! So if this is the 'hard' lustre you want then you would need Edisons.

Attachments

• IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Another choice for me. Do you find the luster of those two WSSP pairs to be identical? Or does one pair have a stronger luster? (same pair is shown on two lower photos).

Attachments

• pp-15.3-15.4.JPG
    pp-15.3-15.4.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 48
  • ducat-15.6.jpg
    ducat-15.6.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 32
  • ducat-15.6..jpg
    ducat-15.6..jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 30
Back