Is this normal for South Seas Pendant?

pearldieg

Hello all. I am seeking your advice on a white South Seas pearl pendant I recently purchased from an online retailer. It is a rather large pearl (14-15mm). Upon close inspection, I was rather disappointed, not so much in the pearl, but what seems like poor workmanship. Please take a look at my photos and let me know whether you would consider the "glue" at the top of the pearl to be...well...unsightly? I'm just not sure I should keep it and wanted feedback/advice.

I appreciate your comments on other threads and enjoy reading the forum.

Thanks in advance.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Hi Pearldieg,

That is a pretty good size pearl; I can see why you were attracted to it. I am drawn to pearls with rings. Although your photos are good, I can't clearly see the glue. Perhaps it could be carefully peeled off with a pair of tweezers or something like that. Occasionally I've had to do this with a pendant or earring of mine. Just make sure the bail is solid by giving it a gentle twist.

If you don't feel the luster measures up, then send it back. Good luck!

Pattye,
Thank you so much for your reply. I do appreciate it. The adhesive they used to connect the pearl to the bale is clearly showing, no matter what way I'd wear it. I don't have a problem with the luster or the pearl, otherwise. I don't mind imperfections in pearls. But this seems to be workmanship. I am just disappointed because I wanted a biggie!

It's a nice pearl! I can't see the glue either (but I believe you, that you can see it.) I second Patty'e advice to see if tweezers will remove the excess.

Is the excess glue on the bale? You could try a tiny bit of acetone on a cotton swab. Acetone doesn't harm real cultured pearls, only imitation pearls.

Are you referring to the light brownish colour ring of material just down from the bale? If so, I think that may not be glue but organic matter as secreted via the mantle tissue during the culture process.

I don't see any glue between the metal bale and the pearl. I see a ring of pearl around the top of the pearl which is actually part of the pearl and not part of the bail. That's natural to some baroque pearls, but if you don't like the look of this particular ringed pearl, then send it back.

Thank you all for your responses. Yes, I am referring to the light yellow ring just down from the bale (not touching it). So perhaps I was not clear before. This is helpful to know, in that it is part of the pearl, especially when dealing with baroques. That's exactly what I needed to know! You don't really see that aspect/feature in photos online. And maybe that's because you don't see big baroques very often, or at least I don't see them in person. It's amazing how much you learn when you get to see and touch them. Thanks again for all of the feedback and I welcome anyone else to chime in. I love this site!

Some ringed pearls are truly beautiful and I love the rings, and other ringed pearls look like they have gunk in the rings, when that's just the inside of the pearl. Each pearl is unique, so don't buy it if you don't absolutely love it. There's sure to be another pendant out there you might like better.

Thank you for that SSEF article, Pearl Dreams. That is helpful to understand. I just couldn't understand why it looked that way. And truth be told, I do like the luster and the bale and the size. At least I know that it's not workmanship--just a natural occurrence. That does make me feel better.

Back