Southsea Pearl vs Edison Pearls

Last edited:
Well, Christmas is just around the corner. Mix a few "Lop Noors", gssps and silver blue akoyas... and we can all start singing carols! :p

eric, pieds dans le plat oh no! I don't want to eat feet :p

Here's more info about Lop Noors https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?2626-Cranberry-Pearls

Pareltje, it's not putting our feet in a dish, as we say in frensh, that can do the difference between calcite and aragonite, but to turn it in red as I have explained (ooh my english!!):D However, to find pearls in Lop Noor desert is so easy than to believe that its bladder is a lantern (other frensh phrase).:D

Last edited:
Pareltje, it's not putting our feet in a dish, as we say in frensh, that can do the difference between calcite and aragonite, but to turn it in red as I have explained (ooh my english!!):D

I was kidding, eric. If you translate that literally, it sounds very funny.

Is there a way to tell a large FW Edison pearl from a SSP? Any tests?

Update on the edison colour fading. I took a chance on some really nice deep violet edisons last september . They've just been on my workbench in the light for just under a year now (on probation!). Happily no change of colour. That's after Grace all but admitted they had had a problem with the deep purples.
edisons.jpg

Those are a pretty, color, pearlescence. Is that an "after" shot? If so, did you happen to take a "before" shot?

Well, if you never turned them over, and they are the same color on the top and the bottom, that would be proof enough for me. I'm not sure memory would detect a very slight color change.

No signs of sun bleaching. The sort of colour change we were discussing wasn't subtle. From strongly purple to washed out pink did happen. I'd remember that (not least because I wouldn't have bought washed out pink!)

I don't want to reignite any controversy, but I've been MIA for awhile and sort of out of the loop and just trying to catch up.

I'm just curious, is this no longer a debate but it has been confirmed that some of the deep purples will fade? Even though Wendy's are still going strong after a year of light exposure? (Forgive me if this is still a sensitive issue)

Back