Is this South Sea Pearls?

asurazzy

They look like button shaped SSP to me.

I didn't want to click on your link to an application from Google Play Store but am curious-- what is that?

Not sure if they are ssp or still could be freshwater.
Definitely button but seem to have decent luster. Price would not be good for freshwater & seems high for buttons but did not note the size.

Its alot of money for specualation if you dont trust the source.

I'd think I'd stick the reputable vendors listed on pearl guide if I were to spend that sort of money you can get a nice strand&you can be confident is what is says it is & is of quality.

Buying an unknown sourced strand that has switched hands can easily get mislabled or just lied about & seller might not be qualified to indentify it.

Last edited:
I think they are ssp bc of the shape. I'm not expert but I don't recall seeing some of the odd shapes in fwps. What I dislike about this strand is the clasp is quite boring for $5500 pearls. Don't you wish people would learn to take good pictures of pearls? And add closeups? Ok, getting off my soapbox. I am cranky and need sleep. :)

So in Australia we have gumtree. In this add its stated this necklace from Autore brand and askung price is 5500$. Its a bit flat shapy buttony potatoey shape. Look like freshwater. But its Autore if the seller didnt lie. So its gotta be ssp?

Please view this ad:

Australia Autore South Sea Strand Pearls,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/newc...aign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Price: $5,500 Negotiable

They are SS but you can buy them 9mm - 11.9mm for 4500$ from a Perth Jewellery store. They look similar. I dont think I'd get something like that on Gumtree tbh .

https://www.diamondsandpearlsperth.com.au/product/autore-south-sea-pearl-strand-necklace-b19711/

As a follow-up to this post. I went into a fine jewellery store that carries Autore pearls. Their similar strand is 5400.00 The sales person said that if they cannot provide a certificate from Autore then they might not be...at least they cannot prove that they are.. Also if you buy them from a B&M store you get the certificate and free restringing + additional guarantees. Her opinion is that as used pearls without a certificate they should be at least $2000 below full retail.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers everybody especially Katbran. I just love baroque pearls but not that one. I just asked because the strand look so cheap for 5500$.

Back