SSP or not? What do you think?

You have two kinds of pearls in your photos. I see two strands of freshwater pearls and one strand of commercial grade South Sea pearls. If you were told they are all South Sea, that isn't true. But one strand does appear to be.

The last photos were helpful..I was thinking the silvery strand looks more like WSS and I suppose at a retail price of 850 it's not the end of the world. They didn't get a bargain.. but they didn't get terribly overcharged The other strands...again Freshwater and the price ... I suppose you'd pay that much in a store.. or dress shop.. So it's not a terrible result - did they overpay..yes a bit...but again..not too bad.

It does look like one of your strands is SSP. The fish bites and nacre is similar to what I've seen at Greenhills for SSP. I buy at Greenhills quite often. Only with 2-3 trusted vendors. I've also brought a few to a gemologist to verify if I plan to use a new vendor. IMHO depending on the harvest and what they get at auction, the SSP strand that you have would currently retail in that range ($700-$800) for that size and quality. For example, 10-11mm whites very good quality currently asking price is $3-4K and I bid down. Also I just did a big order within last two weeks. 9-10mm good quality FW asking price approx $80-100. So 8-9mm good quality (almost all round, no lines/striads/high luster) asking approx $60. All prices I negotiate down. I would say two at $185 they did ok but there was room to go lower.

Last edited:
Back