South sea pearls or not?

millymolly22

I bought these from a deceased estate, and believed them to be south sea pearls. But then I started doubting myself, so thought I'd ask for opinions here :)

They range in size from the largest (top left) 12mm x 11mm to the smallest (bottom right) 6mm x 5mm.

pearls-south-sea.jpg

and here they are turned over, same order. A couple of flaws

south-sea-pearls-2.JPG

Thank you in advance

I'd say all freshwater. Not always easy to tell, but the second from left is a classic button. Plus I've never seen peach coloured south sea pearls

I also thought freshwater pearls because they are too small for SS, and the colors are wrong.

The peach colour of the pearls in this thread is nothing like the colour of the pearl in the thread to which you referred me - or am I missing something? That pearl is not peach coloured

The peach colour of the pearls in this thread is nothing like the colour of the pearl in the thread to which you referred me - or am I missing something? That pearl is not peach coloured

To my eyes the fifth pearl on the top row looks pink. Maybe for you it's peach. I agree that computer screen affects the color of the pearls. And it seems pink ssps exist although they're very rare. I did see a gssp which looked peachy possibly because of its pink overtone. It was from United Pearl Trading.

Thank you everyone - the colours have come out looking peachier than they are in real life. Under natural light it's much more subtle - I would describe it as a champagne or rose overtone.

In answer to pattye, no, I didn't pay much for them, they came with in a small bulk lot of gems. I was more interested in the gemstones at the time I purchased.

Are there any tests I can do that would help identify them further? I will probably keep a couple for me, and sell the rest, or gift them to people. However, I couldn't even think of pricing them without being sure of what they are, I have no interest in ripping people off.

Some of the pearls have low luster areas, others have flat backs. Some have rings, all are non-spherical. I think they have low value. IMO these are not worth trying to sell.

I'd agree with Pearl Dreams. These look like Chinese Freshwater pearls, not much value here unfortunately.

Forgive my ignorance - do the flaws make them worthless if they are freshwater pearls?
Flaws do not automatically make freshwater pearls worthless - for example - a single freshwater pearl with one flaw can be drilled on that flaw, and then set so that the flaw is hidden from view. This applies if the rest of the pearl - the good face - is stupendous.
But it certainly diminishes the value to a greater or lesser extent. And those pearls are not, apparently, of great high value to start with.
Sorry

Back