How can you tell WSSP from FWP?

I used to think that white fwp are creamy compared to WSSP, until recently when I found this fwp strand that looks even whiter than my WSSP strand.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6156.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.3 KB ID:	370838

From inside to outside: PP baroque Edisons, Eiko ssp, new fwp strand, gem grade fwp
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6156.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.3 KB ID:	370838

It's really rare though. I literally went through hundreds of strands to find one this white and I wasn't able to find more. But it does show that color isn't the best way to judge cos there are really white fwp just like there are creamy wssps.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for the photos
i love looking at everyone's photos and the comparison photos are the best

I have a strand of FW keshi that are silvery white, so I have to agree that some FWP are very white. Just not a lot of them.

I love the new whitest white fw strand here. A very good catch!

Ooh, I meant to say I have a GSSP from pearl society, not white. I would say that color does look to be a pretty good indication except newberry's out-of-this-world edisons ir Icyjade's magnificent strand. Newberry's WSSP strand also has quite a mirror-like luster instead of satiny, don't you think?

I ordered some tiny loose wssp keshis that I will make into a strand and I'm excited to compare them to my akoya keshis as per the photos they have a more silvery overtone.

Ooh, I meant to say I have a GSSP from pearl society, not white. I would say that color does look to be a pretty good indication except newberry's out-of-this-world edisons ir Icyjade's magnificent strand. Newberry's WSSP strand also has quite a mirror-like luster instead of satiny, don't you think?

I ordered some tiny loose wssp keshis that I will make into a strand and I'm excited to compare them to my akoya keshis as per the photos they have a more silvery overtone.
Yes my white south sea are very high luster for south sea pearls. I do have a strand of the satin luster ss pearls that doesn't even compare. They are lovely but not spectacular like the high luster strand. I did make that strand into a tin cup and bracelet.

I haven't seen WSS's with as high a luster as the ones from PP. I was lucky enough to get a high luster oval strand during the WSS sale. My strand and earrings outshine my metallic FWPs and are on par with my AAA Akoyas. Other WSSs I have seen are much more satin.

IRL FWPs have a slightly more translucent look too (almost like a soap bubble) and Akoya and WSS both look more 'solid'. It helps you tell the difference when they are side by side (but it's getting more challenging as FWPs are getting better).

I agree, WSS look more opaque than FWP.

No, not opaque exactly...denser, somehow.

Last edited:
Back