Problem earring setting. Any suggestions?

Baby-Love

I have one client bought a pair of SSP 13.6mm from me. Her bottom ears is to small to support the earring. What is your suggestion in this case. She couldn't wear it because it looks sagging. Thank you everyone.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Baby Love -

Some ladies have recommended Monster Ear Nuts in another thread pasted below:

They seem to help with stability and drooping.

Also, I have seen some ladies converting studs to dangles even when the pearls are button shape instead of drop shape and it worked really well. Good luck!

Thanks Purranha for the idea. But she loves to wear it as stud earring. If there is any way to support the baking to make balance with the front. That's what Im trying to figure it out.

For bigger pearls or heavy pearls, this type of backing is usually used to add support to the ear and it lessens drooping of pearls:

image.jpeg

Good suggestion PD , I've not seen those . OTTO Frei has large earring backs in Gold ..I assume those are gold findings in the SS ... If she wants to stick with that and not use the other options.

Perlas ..those are interesting ..does that back loop show ? I was talking to a Trader about this issue a few months back when I had someone who wanted 16mm WSS studs..I thought they wouldn't work due to the weight. She said there was a finding that dropped behind the ear and supported the pearl that was commonly used in China...I wonder if this is what she meant.

Last edited:
Yes, in Asia, this type of backing for large pearls are commonly used. The loop doesn't show as it is usually positioned upward at the back of the ears.

I use large backings, along with Lobe Wonder which are little tabs that you place on to the back side of your ear lobe. They help support the weight of the earring and keep it from sagging. I purchase from drugstore.com but I believe Pattye stocks them as well.

Hi Baby-Love,

China usually produces the earring backing in stainless steel or white-gold plating. The pearl suppliers asks their goldsmiths to produce the backing style and stock it in case clients request in 14k gold. So I suggest you ask a goldsmith to do it. Unless you're in key cities of Asia such as HK, Singapore, Manila, Bangkok and the likes, I'm not sure if it will be readily available.

Here is a photo of the common shape of a gold-plated steel placed in 12.8mm Tahitian stud:

image.jpg

Here is the same stud worn in the ear:

image.jpg

Same style of backing in a 14mm gray SSPs:

image.jpeg

Andrea, do you want the gold-plated backing or the 14k gold? The gold-plated is very affordable but they tend to tarnish over time but you can get a bunch. I think no more than USD3 for a pair or cheaper. The gold depends on how much the gold prices are when the dealers have it done and depends on the grams. Some make the backings thinner and some quite thick. I plan to go to Asia in May.

Pearl Dreams, I was surfing the net and surprised that I can hardly see these type of backings as it is so common in Asia! I don't know a supplier for them because it's just automatic in big SSPs to have such backing in Manila. Even in Greenhills, the gold-plated ones are thrown in for free if you but SSPs, but I think they get them from China. Your best bet is to have them copied by a silver/goldsmith but the next time I'm in Manila, I will ask from whom they get those.

Back